What's new

Speaker calibration stubling block,help ?? (1 Viewer)

brentSkieb

Grip
I've run across a stumbling block while trying to calibrate my speakers and hope someone has run across the same type of issue or has some advice on how I may resolve this.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR800 receiver and I first tried to get my speakers as even as I could, using my receivers own calibration system and an SPL meter
(All spkrs. set to small and X-over at 80hz.).

Then, I started with the Avia disc and an SPL meter to calibrate them accurately.

The problem is, when I need to adjust each speakers level independently according to the Avia test tone, the only way I'm able to accomplish this is to go back through the receivers own calibration system, which has at a totally different tone and volume than the Avia test tone.

What is the proper way to take care of that as it makes it almost impossible to calibrate? Am I doing something improperly?

Any help,suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
brentski

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Brent,

I'm not familiar with that receiver, but I know my Denons all have a function to raise or lower channel levels without going into the menu. Barring that, I would play the Avia tone at reference, note how far up or down I was, pause Avia, go into the menu, adjust level, and then re-check. A pain in the butt, but it should work.

-Robb

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
It's been a while since I've had a receiver, but there should be a way to set the "channel trim" level independent of the channel calibration tones. It may be under a different sub-menu and you just haven't found it yet.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I've got an Onkyo 595 and its similar. It sounds like you're trying to make the level adjustments "on the fly" - you want to play the Avia tone and simultaneously adjust levels until they're where you want them. But that's really not necessary:

Play the Avia tones and write down the measurements. Then do a simple calculation to to figure out how much each channel level needs to change. Apply the changes. Re-check the levels to see that it worked.

brentSkieb

Grip
I've looked through the entire Rcvr. manual to see if there were some other way of adjusting the speaker levels without going through the 'Speaker Set-up, level calibration sub-menu' and there isn't. It's the only way the speakers can be adjusted independently.
The receivers test tone is automatically set to the predetermined reference level of(0db.)

There's no other way around it, I guess.
I'll have to write down the different speaker levels using the Avia Disc., and note what they are, then go into the receivers calibration menu to make the adjustments, then go back to the Avia test-tones to see if the calculations are correct.

After going through that routine a few times, I hope I can get it to where it's supposed to be.

Again,your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
brentski

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Brentski: Sounds like that method will be a bit cumbersome, but it's worth it. The important thing is that you get things calibrated properly, cause it can really make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks