What's new

Newbie here needs some help with frequency setting (1 Viewer)

markymark_73

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
First of all ...Sup guys!!! This is my first post and I hope you can help me out. I want to make sure I am doing this right. I have a Panasonic 5.1 DTS receiver and I am using Infinity satellite speakers. I just got a new a 15" 200watt KLH sub to replace my 12". I have the speaker size set to small and the filter for the cut off bass is set to to 100Hz. The filter has 3 settings which is the 100 150 and 200. On the back of the sub it has a frequency knob that goes from 30 to 180Hz. It has 1-11 on the gain volume. It is currently on 180Hz and I have the gain on 6. Does this sound right??? I have been using the movies king kong and attack of the clones for adjusting to get no distortion on the sub.(great movies to test by the way;) ) I do not have a SPL meter. Should I have the frequency at 180 or should I cut that back to 80-100? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You have done everything correctly except setting the sub level by ear. Most people who do that end up with an extremely bass heavy system. Using an SPL meter and a calibration disc like Avia, Video Essentials or even the THX tools on some DVD's are much better than the ear.

Later you can use the SPL meter to not only set the level but also plot your sub's frequency response to determine whether or not you need to EQ it.

-Robert

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to add to Robert's comments. If the sub has a bypass on its crossover, you should use that. Sometimes it is a switch, sometimes it is done by using the "LFE" input. If it doesn't have a bypass, then you set the available crossover to the highest setting, which is what you have done. A bypass is better, but that's not always available.

I would also try setting the crossover on the receiver to 150, live with it a while and see what you think. There is a tendency to set the crossover too low. The different settings are a trade-off between relieving the satellites of bass loads and localization of the sub. Does the sub have a phase adjustment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks