What's new

DLP Rainbow question (1 Viewer)

AaronArmstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

With all this talk about the x1 and rainbows my question
is.
Does the screen size make a difference as to the severity
of the rainbow effect? I have been wanting to get a 25" HDTV for gaming purposes in my basement. So I don't need a 80-100 inch screen size. If its smaller ( i assume this means the projector is closer to wall?) is the picture any better? less rainbow?

I think DLP would be great for gaming, no burn in!

AA

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Good question. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer. :b

That being said, have you seen a DLP projector? Some people are not at all sensitive to "rainbows". In fact, most people rarely, if ever, see them. This may not even be an issue for you. Try to demo one.

I agree that DLP is great for gaming, due to the lack of burn in.

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
I was trying to figure out what I wanted to get for weeks now. I first wanted to go with a 32" hdtv with DVI, but it was a little two expensive, and with out true hd resolution I didn't think it was worth it. Then I looked at a cheap 27" hdtv that would tide me over for the next couple years until they had affordable full hd resolution sets. But with that small of a set I would have a hard time seeing the difference in resolution.

Then I saw the price of the x1 with best buy 10% off this weekend. I got it today and tried it out. I do see rainbows every once in a while, but it's not bad. The main time I will see rainbows is when I would move my eyes away from the screen quickly. I guess you are supposed to adjust to the picture also, so I am really looking forward to getting everything setup correctly.

AaronArmstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Or can someone tell me if within the 1000-1500 range is something supposed to be coming out in the next 6 months that I should hold off for?

Thanks
AA

Sacha_C

Second Unit
"I think DLP would be great for gaming, no burn in!"

LCDs don't have burn in either, only CRTs.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I was finally able to demo a Infocus X1 locally by taking advantage of the projector's availability at my local Best Buy (in the Computer Accessory area). The Best Buy here offers a 14 day return policy on projectors.

Before I started, I made sure my DVD player was in 16:9 mode, the projector was in 16:9 mode, and the picture setting on the projector was set to "film".

In order to sample the projector's internal DCDi circuitry, I ran my Panasonic progressive scan player into the projector's s-video input.

I used a 96" wide Da-Lite 1.0 gain screen in a room with no windows. I was sitting about 8' back from the screen, which is probably a little too close for that size screen.

I sampled two movies on the projector: The Lord of the Rings:The Fellowship of the Ring and The Mask of Zorro..

I could see the "rainbow effect", but I had to really work at it. For me, it appeared as a "blotch" of color on the screen. I was only able to see this "blotch" if I darted my eyes down the screen fast, or if I moved my head from side-to-side.

If I just simply concentrated on the picture on the screen, everything was just fine!

The dark scenes in LOTR:FOTR were the best I've seen outside of my CRT-based Pioneer 55" RPTV. And the huge crowd scene at the beginning of The Mask of Zorro was rendered with no motion artifacts that I could detect.

I have to say that the DCDi de-interlacer in this machine is awesome, and the contrast ratio is miles ahead of my old Philips SV20i LCD projector (purchased in Fall, 2000.)

Since I prefer a native 4:3 projector for sporting events, I just may keep this machine!

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I have the Samsung 507 & the only time I see rainbows is when I turn my head away from the screen really fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks