What's new
World Wide Stereo

About to decide on Mits HC4000 over Epson 8350. One question, how about RAINBOW with the Mits? (1 Viewer)

robd1

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob D.
I'll try to make this as short as possible since I've read about every thread from every forum on the HC4000 vs Epson 8350. I know the pros and cons of each but I think will work for my room as far as placement goes (thats another post that will come just to make sure). I know rainbow effect is different from person to person. That said my wife and I have spent hundreds of hours viewing an older 720p DLP and we had NO rainbow issues or eye fatigue. I don't know the model number but it was an older Epson DLP back around 2004-2006 maybe?
I have nowhere to preview an HC4000 in action. So, am I safe to assume that if we didn't have rainbow issues with and older DLP model, that we are pretty safe with the newer generations of DLP like the HC4000? Any opinions appreciated!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Rainbow effect is lessened the faster the projector. I doubt your new projector will be slower than the old one.
Besides, if you see the rainbow...you can't watch IMAX...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You'll probably be fine. BUT as far as I know, Epson never made DLP projectors. Are you sure it was a DLP? It was either an Epson LCD or it wasn't a DLP.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Yup, Epson only does LCD. They hold the majority of LCD patents.

robd1

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob D.
You are right, it was my bro-in-law's and it was an Optima H79, not an Epson. Sorry :)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The Optoma H79 had a 5X color wheel speed, and the HC4000's is 4X, a little slower. So there is a slight chance you may see rainbows with the HC4000. Just make sure of the return policy before you buy the HC4000. It's an excellent projector. I have the model it replaced, the HC3800 and I love it.

robd1

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob D.
Thanks Jim, I thought the same. About to order from ProjectorPeople because they have a decent 30 day return policy. I hope they are decent to deal with. Thanks for your help bro.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I bought my last 2 projectors from them, and they are a great place to deal with. BUT unless they changed their policy, it limited you to only 4 hours on the bulb to return a projector.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I'll second the recommendation of Projector People. They're great to work with and quick to respond to any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinman11201
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale