1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DIY S-video cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Foan, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Greg Foan

Greg Foan Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,
    I've heard that it's possible to make an S-video cable from twin runs of RG6 and the appropriate adapters. I've tried searching for the info, but to no avail....Can anyone help me out on this? Is it difficult for someone not particularily experienced in cabling? I need a 60ft run to connect my fathers HT receiver to his TV.
    Thanks,

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Greg I've always heard that s-video cables are a real bitch to make and talking with some people that are in the buiness they confirmed that you really have to know how to handle a soldering iron to get them done right. I'd look at some of the custom cable makers to see what they can do for you.
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

3. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I have made a few of my own and it is a b*tch!
    For a 60' run, I think bettercables or catcables would be very expensive.
    I would just order one from http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/Store.cfm unless your dad really wants a premium cable.
    They are quality cables, just not what I would consider premium cables.
    [Edited last by Brian Corr on September 04, 2001 at 08:44 AM]

4. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Greg, these guys speak the truth. S-video is VERY difficult without cable building experience going in, as well as the proper vices, cutting tools, continuity tester, soldering iron, flux, and solder. By the time you buy everything you need to even attempt this, you could have probably just spent the money and buy a cable cheaper. I don't mean to deter you from trying, but those are the right facts going in.
    regards,
    Doug
    CATCables.com