What's new

How to connect Mac mini to receiver? (1 Viewer)

loyalty4life

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Walters
Hello,

I have spent an hour searching through posts, articles and YouTube videos without success.

Files for reference:

AV RX-V2085 Manual - https://au.yamaha.com/files/downloa...24/web_AV17-0235_RX-V3085_2085_om_A_En_D0.pdf

Apple Mac Mini M1 Tech Specs: https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

I currently own the receiver listed above. I’ve never connected a computer to an AV receiver before. Naturally, my goal is to have 5.1 high quality audio with whatever I do with the Mac computer.

I may be overthinking this, but how do I connect this, and with what cables? I don’t think it’ll be as easy as plugging an HDMI cable from the back of the computer to an AV receiver HDMI input, is it? If so, do I change the audio settings in the Mac for it to look for the audio via HDMI?

I’ve read that I may need some kind of S/PDIF, DAC or USB cable solution. If so, this is where the Mac suffers as it only has Thunderbolt, HDMI, USB-A, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. S/PDIF is not built in, so I read I may need a Thunderbolt dock that can do S/PDIF.

This is where it all got fair confusing for me. If someone can tell me a quick and surefire way to set this up, I would be most grateful.

Thank you!

Justin

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think your confusion is because you are expecting there to be a single way to do it, when there are about 100 different options. Simplest is probably to use hdmi, which will allow the most flexibility, including surround modes and HD audio. You can also pass video with the same connection, or not, because you can use TB4 to send video. You can also use all the options you listed with various adapters for S/PDIF through a dock or USB using simple adapter. Honestly, the options are almost unlimited, but the one that doesn't require an accessory is hdmi.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
HDMI
7C2141CC-ABC7-4168-928C-A4097025F3FA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks