What's new

DIY Desk? (1 Viewer)

Craig Carrigan

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone has attempted to make their own desk? I'm now in the DIY mood and have been making everything :) I have a flexy rack, a DIY screen, a Tempest EBS, and now I'm looking for some more projects. I plan on making some Adire or Gr-Research kits but that is in the future as my B&Ws are ok for now. My girlfriends dad is letting me borrow his table saw and mitre saw until he moves in to his new house (2 years!) so I should have all the right equipment.
Are there any online resources for this type of thing? I searched but found nothing. I didn't figure it'd be too had but thought that I'd see what other people did wrong to make sure that I didn't make the same mistakes.
Thanks,
Craig
PS I figure this is pertinent to the HT forum as where else am I going to check up on this forum from? :D

Jonathan M

Second Unit
If you're doing a computer desk, I've done one. There may be a pic or two somewhere here , (That's my color-coded homemade racing wheel + pedals :) You may be able to click the photos for a larger (But maybe fuzzier) picture.
Basically, all I did was think about what I wanted (Integrated sound + Amp), basic layout for machine (It's a tower, underneath the desk on the left) etc. and an appropriate height for monitor/space for printer etc. Then just sketched up some plans and built - all out of 16mm MDF (Desk is laminated with 9mm for a more solid top)
I've made mine so that the desktop and the shelving unit on top is disconnectable from the base, so that it can be moved easily through narrowish doorways. They just screw together from below.
Feel free to mail me any questions.

CodyL

Grip
Try this link to get you started:
http://popularmechanics.com/home_imp...sk/print.phtml
Once you understand modular construction explained on this site, you can pretty much build any desk/credenza setup you want. Pretty simple really. I used this modular design to build a wall bookcase with filing cabinet drawers, etc. Wife was thrilled and it was all built with a table saw and a miter saw (and a nail gun). Have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks