Recommend a DIY computer sub and amp < $150 total

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joseph_S, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Joseph_S

Joseph_S Auditioning

It's time to give my computer some bass. I'd prefer to go the DIY route unless there is a more cost-efficient alternative since I'm only willing to spend $150. The box needs to be relatively small, preferably less than 1 cu ft external, 1.5 absolute max; it's going by my feet under a desk. It will probably be ported and stuffed with polyfill. Decent sound quality is a must. For comparison, I've heard the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 setup, but its sub doesn't play low enough to suit me. I've been looking at a 100W Dayton plate amp for $75 (SA100) and a Tang Band 8 for $52.60 (W8-740C) both from partsexpress.com. Also been eyeing the Elemental Designs Eu-700 at $50. I just want something that will play deep bass at least down to 30 Hz and still sound good. What would everyone recommend I get?

Sorry it won't let me post the links to those items.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Why not just pick one of these up?

3. Joseph_S

Joseph_S Auditioning

Wow that thing is a lot bigger than I was wanting, but for the price and not having to build a box, I'd be willing to sacrifice the leg room. Depth is the main problem. I was thinking of turning it sideways to make it an inch less deep. The 10 and 12 both have the same width which would mean the same depth if I turned them sideways. The 12 is looking awfully attractive for $166.52 shipped...a month from now though. If I'm not going to be able to stretch my legs, then it's going to be because I have a big ol sub down there so I guess it's worth the wait and definitely worth the extra $25 or so. One question though: Will my computer be safe sitting 3-4 inches away from this monster firing into it?

4. John Garcia

John
    That close to the computer, I'd say would not be something I'd be comfortable with. So that changes things a bit - you may want to expand your search to shielded subs, which is going to limit you quite a bit.

5. Joseph_S

Joseph_S Auditioning

How far away would it need to be to be safe? I just realized that I could put it under my bed next to the computer and still keep my leg room. I can't believe I didn't think of that before. There's exactly 16" of clearance under my bed so it'll barely fit. The sub could be up to 6 feet away under my bed. Man I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that in the first place.

6. John Garcia

John
    That would be better [​IMG]