What's new

Disney's ongoing Political Correctness (1 Viewer)

JeremyJones

Agent
We all know about the "PC"ing of Disney's DVD's (i.e. Fantasia, Make Mine Music, Song of the South). Now, add their parks to the equation. According to Link Removed Disney is making the Jungle Cruise skippers lose their guns. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) have voice concerns about the part of the Jungle Cruise when the skipper shoots an attacking hippo. "If it was a fantasy child he was shooting, you wouldn't be laughing." PULEASE! Anyhow, since Disney is so quick to bow to organized groups who voice concerns over ANYTHING, why not try to send letters to them under a Home Theater Forum title? Heck, they might even release Song of the South if we pitch a big enough fit. Okay, maybe we should be the Home Theater Forum for the Ethical Treatment of Homosexuals, Animals, Cropdusters, Nosepickers, and Other Assorted Causes.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry, but shooting a hippo isn't funny, so why would I be laughing? Those PETA people don't make sense.
I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to shoot the fake hippo because they should. Then again, PETA is crazy. You know why they made Disney change this? Because people are too stupid to know that its a FAKE hippo. I guess PETA thinks they are smarter than everyone else and they are protecting the rest of the world from seeing fake animals be shot at with fake guns. Now, Disney should make the skippers pull out knives and chop the hippo up and serve it to everyone for dinner. That should make them happy.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Half an hour...tops. :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Before this thread closes...
A note on Disney's politically correct attitude:
A few years ago, Buena Vista changed Disneyland's famed Pirates of the Caribbean. The pirate who chased a woman around was considered sexual harrasment. So They changed the female animatronic statue. The new female statue now holds a plate of food. Apparantly, ride goers are supposed to think the pirate is after the food now.
The cartoon show Pinky and The Brain made fun of this fact.
------------------
[Edited last by rutger_s on September 04, 2001 at 08:37 PM]

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The next time you enjoy Jurassic Park, I want all of you to imagine that the dinosaurs are giant prehistoric fantasy children.
Not so funny now, is it!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Woman holding a plate of food??
Great! next thing you know, the feminist will be after disney!
laugh.gif

------------------

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
They will also be removing the guns from the shooting gallery in Frontierland, and any and all references to guns in the rest of the park. I wonder if this includes the laser guns in Buzz Lightyear? I'm glad we decided to do the Universal parks in Orlando this year instead of those liberal Disney parks
frown.gif
Hasta la vista Mickey!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
rolleyes.gif

The Disney Company obviously has no respect for the integrity of their classics. I sent a long 3 page letter (with 50+ signature petition) pleading for them to re-release all of their censored DVD's with complete, unedited versions.
I sent the letter months ago and I have yet to get a reply.
If anyone from Disney is looking at this, you're a bunch of cowards. Criterion could release these films for you with no liability for you, yet you deface classics like they were children's coloring books.
They should be ashamed of their disrespect and that's why I only have 1 Disney DVD out of my 40. I don't even want to get the Treasures or Dumbo DVD because they might be censored. I hate it when I have to wonder if a DVD is censored or not. My wallet supports my decisions.
CENSORSHIP = NO SALE! (I bought the Fantasia DVD thinking it was uncut...you craven liars.)
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Hey Ben, Disney censors their animated films for release to dvd. We are all dvd fans here, and at some point in life, a long time ago, were fans of Disney as well. What this has to do with Home Theater Software is that Disney is currently screwing HTF enthusiasts in the rear with their home theater software releases. Capiche?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Seven years ago, Disney World destroyed their integrity forever by replacing the traditional narrative of it's Hall Of Presidents with a PC narrative commissioned by a radical historian. The Lincoln speech, an appeal to American unity, was jettisoned because the one radical historian said it was racist and McCarthyistic. So instead of a real Lincoln speech we were then given a Clinton speech which Disney hacks wrote for Clinton to prerecord.
Small wonder that the PC sickness has spread elsewhere in Disney's parks. Not to mention their getting rid of classic rides like 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Why should anyone be surprised that their DVD's would not be exempt from that arrogant attitude either? (There, got it back onto DVDs just in time!) :)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Can someone close this thread down or move it to the "After Hours" section?? If I wanted to read conservative, right-wing nonsense I would head over to Rush Limbaugh's site. This thread has nothing to do with Home Theater Software.
Jeff

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Jeff,
Censorship is usually a liberal issue, FYI. The theme of this thread is very spelled-out in the subject/header. It could go either way, however, in which Forum it belongs to.
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
We all know about the "PC"ing of Disney's DVD's (i.e. Fantasia, Make Mine Music, Song of the South). Now, add their parks to the equation. According to Link Removed Disney is making the Jungle Cruise skippers lose their guns.
Okay, reading the first post over again, I guess this thread isn't about Disney dvds. Sorry I laid the smackdown on ya earlier Ben. I'll agree that we could move this to After Hours Jeff, but I won't agree that the issue is "nonsense". I'm not a conservative right-wing hardliner, I'm just a nostalgiac purist, and I fricken hate that Disney feels they have to destroy their heritage and sweep it under the rug.

David James

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeff, I was debating whether I should offer the first dissenting opinion, but you beat me to it.
This issue comes up every few weeks and we see the same comments. You don't like how Disney manages their product, fine, don't buy it. Leave the diatribes to the newsgroups.

JeremyJones

Agent
This isn't a right-wing issue. It's a preservist and purist issue. Why can't Disney leave their history alone? Pretty soon they'll have to delete Jiminy Cricket from Pinocchio because PETA will say it's cruelty to crickets to have them work as a conscience and not get paid. Or Bambi will have the mother's death scene deleted and the mother will be digitally added to the rest of the movie. It's cruel to shoot deer. When Disney realizes that you can't bow to every special interest group in the world, MAYBE they'll get some balls and start releasing their UNEDITED movies. And maybe, just maybe, fix their parks back to their original UN-PC ways!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Thanks for the chuckle Jeremy! Would you like to join THE NATIONAL SOCIETY FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF SILLY PEOPLE? I think you can easily qualify.
I'm also the president and founder of CPR (COMMITTIE for PLANT'S RIGHTS). We are diametrically opposed to PETA's cruel policies! Our platform:
1. The consumption of plants as food is cruel and inhumane. We believe in the ethical treatment of slow, defenseless plants. Unlike animals and fish, plants have almost no chance to evade or escape capture. The taking of big-game plants, such as corn, is in our opinion ruthless, cruel, and defitely not sporting.
2. Logging is abhorrent!
3. Imagine the intense pain grass must endure when when baseball or football players stomp on them during a so-called sporting events? Walking on grass is just plain mean. Lawn mowing is akin to mass murder!
4. We also believe that persons who have enslaved house plants should be arrested and fined, if they forget to water their captives. Repeat offenders should be jailed!
5. We are boycotting foods that contain plant flesh. Meat and fish are proper foods! Avoid morally tainted plant foods! Imagine how wheat feels as it's chopped off at the ankles? Fish and game have a sporting chance to get away, but plants don't!
Therefore, I will be petitioning Disney to release the plant captives they hold in immoral bondage. The nerve of those mouseketeers! Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks