What's new

Disney's Frozen: Quick Review (1 Viewer)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I took my 3-year-old to see Frozen Wednesday night and today took my wife and 14-month-old. I only got to rewatch the first half since the baby decided not to cooperate and even at a Disney movie etiquette does put a limit on how distracting they can be, but what I saw definitely reinforced my initial impressions. In short, I liked it. A lot. I found it to be a considerable step up from Tangled (which I initially underrated quite a bit but over the subsequent 300 watchings have come to appreciate far more). Tangled's biggest flaw was an uneven first half, requiring about 45 minutes to really find the tone and approach it was aiming for, but after that it never put a foot wrong and ended up an excellent movie in its own right.

Frozen, on the other hand, is far more assured. It's a much more confident film, having its central message and tone locked in from frame one and sticking to that all the way through. Very briefly, it's a loose adaptation of another fairy tale, this time Hans Christian Anderson's "The Snow Queen," although in this case it veers so strongly from the initial subject matter that saying it's "inspired by" is likely far more accurate. It's the story of two sisters (princesses of course), the older of which has the magical ability to manipulate snow and ice. A childhood accident causes her to isolate herself, and a later accident leads to her accidentally freezing her entire kingdom and fleeing in fear. Anna, the younger sister, has to bring her back. Along for the ride are a handsome prince, an unlucky ice salesman who suddenly finds his product superfluous and his reindeer, and a surprisingly charming snowman who dreams of summer. You can sketch out the rest of the plot from there and probably be quite accurate, although the movie will likely find ways to surprise you. Conceptually it strays from the Disney norm in several ways, taking a classic Disney setup then subverting the outcome without the sneering meanness than can undermine some of Dreamworks' tackling of similar expectations.

The emphasis on family was also a welcome change from the usual Disney approach (isolated orphans looking for help from outside). Elsa and Ann are orphans yes, but the movie is about them depending on each other, not outsiders. Olaf managed to be extremely funny, a surprisingly developed character, and a poignant touch of backstory fleshing out Elsa as well. The music is adequate. Most of the pieces accomplish their goal and acquit themselves well, but aren't necessarily all that memorable. But then there's the one exception of "Let It Go." It's the high point of the movie and an amazing scene. Marking the point where Elsa, alone in the wilderness, embraces her powers, it's a knockout musically (heightened by Idina Menzel's terrific talent, and she's giving it her all), but also ties into what's happening in terms of story and the onscreen visuals on a level with Disney's best. I'm not going to try and rank it in terms of "better than [insert sacred cow of choice here]," but I will say it's a sequence that deserves to be in the conversation and is an absolute homerun.

My biggest gripe is with the pace. Ace 1 is just about perfect, giving things enough time to breathe and establish themselves without feeling either rushed or overly drawn out. Unfortunately, the second act to me came across as quite rushed. Narratively quite a bit happens and several important characters are introduced as well, and ultimately none of them feel like they get all the time they deserve. Where the first act was able to establish numerous character nuances and set up its events carefully, in the second things happen much more quickly and with much broader strokes. It's not bad by any stretch, and at nearly an hour and 50 minutes the runtime was already pretty stretched out, but an extra five minutes would have gone a long way. My other two major gripes are spoilers.

First, the entire movie could have been averted had the parents approached Elsa's powers in any way other than "pretend they're not there and be completely terrified of them." Even the slightest bit of effort at mastery (as opposed to avoidance) would have averted the Elsa's meltdown completely. And their death was such a transparent way to make Elsa the queen at a particularly young age as to be laughable. Elsa and Anna were given quite a bit of depth, but their parents could have used some more meaningful development to avoid feeling like they were simply tools to advance the plot then cast aside. My other big flaw is that Hans turning bad was a mistake. The movie didn't need a bad guy. The distance and emotional conflict between Elsa and Anna was plenty to drive the entire movie without forcing in a love triangle and ultimately meaningless double cross. About the only good that came from it was having Anna a, make her sign of true love be related to her sister instead of romantic love in a nice subversion and b, have it be something she did herself instead of having done to her. Otherwise you could have cut Hans from the movie and almost nothing would change. The only meaningful conflict he serves as the driver of is the initial rushed marriage proposal, which didn't require him as the bad guy anyway. Innocent naivety would have served just as well. I understand not wanting to give every princess a love interest to make a [valid] point, which is what I initially expected (Kristoph would win Anna while chasing Elsa while Elsa would end up with Hans). Like killing the parents, it seemed like the biggest reason to make him into a bad guy is to conveniently resolve the love triangle and shove him out of the way without Anna needing to choose between the two. It felt ham-handed in a movie that otherwise did a very good job of dealing with nuance.

Otherwise it was a fantastic movie. Hans had all the character depth of cardboard but everyone else was nicely fleshed out. Even Anna is more than the polyanna she first appears to be. The animation is outstanding throughout with numerous points of jaw-dropping beauty. The humor is generally on-target without that very many cringe-inducing misses. I'm not sure it quite hits the level of Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, or Little Mermaid, but it comes close, and it's a solid step up from Tangled which was already an excellent effort in its own right.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm going to go see this, but it would be a breath of fresh air for Disney to make a film where the lead female character isn't a Princess and doesn't aspire to be one.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Princess and the Frog did that. Tiana ended up a princess, but almost by default. It certainly wasn't something she aspired to.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Get a Horse was terrific. I don't want to say too much since it has a pretty neat secret, but it was really enjoyable. They clearly spent a ton of time studying the classic Mickey Mouse shorts and to my amateur eyes nailed it. The slight jerkiness in the animation from not quite enough frames, the sound design, it all rung very true and was quite funny.

And then it all [literally] fell apart. After the turn it almost felt more like a Looney Tunes short in that there was absolutely no fourth wall whatsoever. The smooth transitions from classic animation to fully-modeled and colored newer techniques and back again was incredibly impressive. I took my 3-year-old, so 2D version for that reason, but Get a Horse alone makes me wish I'd seen it in 3D.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
"Get a Horse" was fantastic. I also wished we were in a 3D showing for it. Frozen is also really good and we liked the way it subverted the usual Disney princess plots. My main gripe, which is in opposition to Chris's view, was with the pacing of the film. I felt like it took too long to get going and up to speed.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Frozen was great; the best animated Disney film since at least the Princess and the Frog. It definitely evokes the great period highlighted by Little Mermaid and Beauty & The Beast. A really nice touch was
that it wasn't a kiss from a man at the end that solved the problem.

I wish TPTB would have had more faith in the material and not used a generic title like Frozen (The Snow Queen would have done just fine); it's maddening that this trend keeps happening. A trend that has not gone unnoticed -- see this hilarious EW take: http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20483133_20760034,00.html

The only other issue I had was a bit of the character design. The characters' eyes were enormous - so much so that they distracted from the film. Is that an anime influence? Whatever it was, it should go away. But that's a minor nit for what was otherwise a great movie, one of my favorites of the year, and probably the best animated film of 2013.

If there is any Oscar justice, there should be multiple song nominees.

Get a Horse was a lot of fun. Great to see Mickey Mouse being used again. Look for a tiny nod to one of Disney's newest blockbuster film series. Tremendous fun.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
This film sounds even more promising, which I hope to see soon. I already thought it would be better than "Tangled", since this one does not have Zachary Levi (whose voice really stuck out like a sore thumb, and took away from that film).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
I wish TPTB would have had more faith in the material and not used a generic title like Frozen (The Snow Queen would have done just fine); it's maddening that this trend keeps happening. A trend that has not gone unnoticed -- see this hilarious EW take: http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20483133_20760034,00.html
I read somewhere recently that the whole social media thing (#stupid) is responsible for a dramatic increase in one-word movie titles in recent times. Frozen does sound more like a Dreamworks title...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have not seen a single preview on TV that indicates this is a musical, or at least a movie with songs. In fact, the previews don't leave me wanting to see this movie. This thread does.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Lots of singing, LOTS of singing... You don't cast Idina Menzel in an animated film and not have her sing.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Johnny Angell said:
I have not seen a single preview on TV that indicates this is a musical, or at least a movie with songs. In fact, the previews don't leave me wanting to see this movie.This thread does.
The marketing campaign hasn't been good. It's almost like Disney is ashamed of the fact that this is an animated musical. They seem to want people to think it's a funny animal/snowman movie, which it certainly is not.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Johnny Angell said:
I have not seen a single preview on TV that indicates this is a musical, or at least a movie with songs. In fact, the previews don't leave me wanting to see this movie..
Yep. Terrible previews. I have had no interest in seeing it.I'm looking for a review where, explicitly, no kids were involved in the viewing. I want to know if this is "Despicable Me" good (actually a good movie) or "Despicable Me 2" good (must be seen with a 5 yo).

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sam, thanks for that link. It was quite entertaining. "Wet & Legless" actually made me laugh out loud.

Like many in this thread, we did not know about all of the musical numbers in this film. The previews do not do a very good job portraying what the movie is about. It appears that was by design though. Disney may have been concerned that audiences would stay away from a musical film about two sisters.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
You can expect more of this kind of marketing from Disney, since Frozen's sly marketing is being called a success:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/02/movies/frozen-disneys-new-fairy-tale-is-no-2-at-box-office.html?ref=arts
Boys Don’t Run Away From These Princesses ‘Frozen,’ Disney’s New Fairy Tale, Is No. 2 at Box Office
from the article:
“Boys really respond to humor, and we fortunately had an enormous supply of that from Olaf the snowman,” said Dave Hollis, executive vice president for distribution at Walt Disney Studios. Addressing the marketing campaign, Mr. Hollis said that Disney tested materials with focus groups, and “with any piece that polarized one audience or another, there was a strategic decision to hold it.”
Buy hey, it's a terrific movie, so I guess whatever gets more people to see it is cool. Just a shame we live in a culture where a movie can't be upfront about what it is about. FWIW, my two 4 1/2 year-old boys loved it.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
So Disney's strategy is to make previews for movies people want to see but then show them what they actually made in the theater? I hope they remember the old adage "Fool me once..." I'm sure soon Disney will be saying "I don't understand why the [latest] movie didn't do better? We made a movie that people who went really enjoyed, just no one showed up."

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Chuck Anstey said:
So Disney's strategy is to make previews for movies people want to see but then show them what they actually made in the theater? I hope they remember the old adage "Fool me once..." I'm sure soon Disney will be saying "I don't understand why the [latest] movie didn't do better? We made a movie that people who went really enjoyed, just no one showed up."
There's no way I would have wanted to see the movie they were promoting (I'm in the minority, I know). Olaf was a fine side character, but I can't do an entire movie with him. The same thing happened with Mater from Cars/Cars 2. Fine sidekick, terrible main character.

I found the advertising a bit different, too, but if it gets more people into the theater, that's fine. It's advertising, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks