What's new

Disney's American Legends DVD:"Modified from Original Version" (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
As I was looking on the back of Disney's American Legends DVD case to find the production year, I read, in the smallest print on the back of the case:
This film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit your TV.
"Fullscreen (1.33:1)", is also in bigger print under the Technical Specifications.
Does anybody know the OAR of the original version?
How about the production year? (It's not mentioned on the case.)
Paul

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
It was my understanding that the DVD was a brand new production, meaning it was most likely completed in 2001. I don't know for certain though. And since it is direct-to-video, I'm not certain they would frame it for something wider than 1.33:1 and then crop the DVD release.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I don't know about this case, but wouldn't it make sense these days, as we stand on the threshold of a 16x9 standard, for new productions like this to be 1.78:1? Maybe Disney did it in 16:9 and expect to sell us that one later on.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
The disc is a compilation of stories, most of which appeared in the animated anthologies and shorts of the 40s and 50s, with one exception.

Johnny Appleseed originally appeared as part of Melody Time (1948). "Paul Bunyan" was a short feature released in 1958. Casey Jones was the subject of "The Brave Engineer", released as a short in 1950.

John Henry was completed a few years ago, if I recall correctly. At one time, they showcased its development as part of the animation studio tour at Disney MGM Studios in Florida.

For whatever reason I don't think this final short has actually been released before. I suppose it could have been developed for modern theaters, and thus cropped from its intended aspect ratio, but the other films certainly have 1:33 aspect ratios, based on their age alone.

Perhaps Disney has labeled this release as "modified" because it is actually a collection of multiple films, perhaps with new linking material, rather than an original release.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
For whatever reason I don't think this final short has actually been released before. I suppose it could have been developed for modern theaters, and thus cropped from its intended aspect ratio, but the other films certainly have 1:33 aspect ratios, based on their age alone.
'John Henry' was more than likely shot 1.66:1 (and protected to 1.85:1). Contemporary Disney shorts (like the Roger Rabbit ones) are no longer shot academy frame, and 1.66:1 is the preferred ratio for 95% of Disney feature animation these days, so it would be a likely fit.

If this is the case, they should have left it alone. HT buffs would mostly appreciate the OAR, and on most cheapo TVs there is enough overscan that all you see are slim bars on 1.66:1 material, and even the whiners don't think twice about it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
John Henry was completed a few years ago, if I recall correctly. At one time, they showcased its development as part of the animation studio tour at Disney MGM Studios in Florida.
From the looks of it, they never actually bothered to finish "John Henry". I watched the package last night and saw the worst cleanup work I've ever witnessed. The short shows all sorts of stray sketch lines from start to finish. It's so bad I briefly entertained the notion it was intentional, but it's also inconsistent enough - and ILLOGICAL enough - for me to dismiss that concept.

I love Disney animation and think they put out some excellent DVDs. However, when they miss, they miss badly, and American Legends is a near-total dud. $30 list for a DVD with one unfinished "new" short, another collectors already own, and two oldies previously unavailable on DVD. The disc includes almost no extras as well. It's rip-offs like this that could make people have to call them "Di$ney" again...

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
The short shows all sorts of stray sketch lines from start to finish. It's so bad I briefly entertained the notion it was intentional, but it's also inconsistent enough - and ILLOGICAL enough - for me to dismiss that concept.
I finally had the chance to view this title myself, and personally I'm convinced that this was the desired effect. While I'm not sure that I liked it at all, I believe that Disney was trying to create something intentionally rough around the edges here.
Maybe the artists were influenced by the popularity of the Beauty and the Beast WIP edition.:laugh:
A similar effect, though not nearly as pronounced, was used in the Aristocats. Many of the original pencil lines are quite visible on the DVD of that film.
I do agree though that the disc is a let-down. I can't help but compare it to the Disney Treasures collections. Three otherwise unavailable short films compared to a jam-packed two disc special edition - a big disappointment.
Still, Disney completist that I am, I had to get it for the stuff I didn't already have.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm willing to accept that the effect was intentional, though I'd love to figure out what the point of it was. It looks terrible - the whole thing just looks sloppy. No, I don't think all animation has to appear identical and perfectly-formed, but this was ridiculous.

My confusion still revolves around the lack of consistency. Frankly, if they intentionally made the work sloppy, why are some scenes perfectly clean and others a total mess? That's the oddest part about the thing.

Well, even if "John Henry" had no concerns, this package is still a shoddy rip-off. Considering the high quality of so many of their animated DVDs, it's a great disappointment to get such a crummy package. I'm not sure why Legends bothers me more than similarly high-priced and weak sets like the Recess and House of Mouse Christmas packages; maybe because this one exploits collector desires instead of family desires. But it rubs me the wrong way, especially on the heels of excellent product like the Atlantis CE and all the WD Treasures sets...

Jon_J

Auditioning
John Henry was intended to be viewed in widescreen. It'll be shown in it's OAR infront of Return to Neverland.

I personally think the visible construction lines, or any rough pencil tests in general, are more visually pleasing than the final product... but I'm biased.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks