What's new

Disney the classics, animated and non animated? (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Let me connect it better
Pirates will sell units, even players.
When the units and the players reach a certain level as a result of such high end releases, the classics will come.

Disney is far more onboard with Blu Ray today than they were with DVD at this stage. I don't think there is much to worry about the classics coming.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

thanks for reminding us.

Remember how at this stage with DVD Disney was not only "not fully supporting" DVD but their releases were actually painful. The non-anamorphic Mary Poppins and A Bugs Life? Ugh. It was like a slap in the face.

That contrasts sharply releases like Chicago that push the AV quality limits of the BD format right from the start. Sigghh... :)

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
In addition to all those reasons, these 2 HD formats haven't exactly been quite as secure as the Studios expected. I'm sure Disney doesn't exactly want near master quality 1080p versions of thier classics floating loose.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would love to see Disney release some of there clasics and newer animation on Blu-ray. Unfortunantly I do not see Disney releasing any of these films in HD until they feel like pulling them from the vault. They have been really good about keeping the demand of there titles up buy keeping availablity somewhat limited.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm just putting this out there in case someone from Disney's reading:

Rocketeer

Just do it.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
DaViD Boulet said:
thanks for reminding us.

Remember how at this stage with DVD Disney was not only "not fully supporting" DVD but their releases were actually painful. The non-anamorphic Mary Poppins and A Bugs Life? Ugh. It was like a slap in the face.

From memory"A Bug's Life" was a reference disc-certainly anamorphic and great sound and vision. I agree that was not the case with "Poppins"

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
This might not be a terribly popular catalog title, but I think a Disney BD release of Tron could yield some amazing results. Being that it was filmed in beautiful 70mm, Tron really would look stunning on BD. Those amazing Cray-rendered graphics would also be a nice thing to view on a 100" screen.

I was lucky enough to see a pristine 70mm presentation of Tron at the Paramount theater in Austin in 2000 (along with a gorgeous 70mm Lawrence of Arabia) and the quality was freaking amazing. So, if a new HD master could be made from one of these 70mm prints, then Tron could really be something to behold in BD.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I could not agree more, Ben. I would love to see a full on, no holds barred release of Tron on Bd that rivals the incredible 'Exclusive Archive Edition' laserdisc release.

- Walter.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
For me 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is the live action Disney title that I covet the most in HD. I have a feeling I'll have a long wait.

Great news about Sleeping Beauty in 08, I believe it was planned to get the platinum treatment so this'll probably coincide with the DVD. Hopefully Snow White won't be too many years away.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I may be the only one here, but I would definitely welcome a BD release of 'Evita' with lossless sound (and all the bonus features of the Criterion laserdisc if possible.) And 'Dick Tracy' would be a pretty BD too (and not just because of Madonna's see-thru blouse.) :D

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'd love to see Dick Tracy in HD. The art direction and photography in that film are just amazing.

Doug

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

The first release of A Bugs Life was only 4x3 lbx. It was re-released later in 16x9 (and yes, that was a reference disc for the day).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Oh,

anyone catch the thread where Brett talks about Sleeping Beauty coming to BD (I think in 2008)?

Still a bit shaky announcement-wise... but promising...

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Tron is inevitable. I didn't ask for that because Rocketeer needs an upgrade much more than Tron does. I tried watching it recently and that bad non-anamorphic transfer just sucks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well finally an official
on a classic.

from ron's posted press release we'll get Sleeping beauty, but it wont be until

next fall.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Bugs Life was actually recomposed in the computer for 4x3 so the framing of that title was actually as correct as the later 16x9. Of course that didn't help much if you had a 16x9 tv.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks