Disney Silly Symphonies to be uncensored?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Paynter, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

According to the DVD pamphlet that comes with Snow White, the Walt Disney Treasures DVDs are to be uncensored - does this mean we'll finally get The Three Little Pigs with its original Jewish Fuller Brush Man gag?
    Original (in thick accent) - "I'm The Fuller Brush Man..I'm giving a free sample..."
    All video versions (no accent, but low voice) - "I'm The Fuller Brush Man...I'm working my way through college..."
    I saw the original in a 16mm presentation called 'Milestones In Animation' featuring Steamboat Willie, The Skeleton Dance Flowers And Trees, TLP and The Old Mill when I was very young and those films are well anticipated when the DVD comes out in December.
    The PC edit of TLP is a disgrace, akin to Greedo Shoots First.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Keith Paynter on October 27, 2001 at 11:43 PM]

2. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

An 'uncensored' Silly Symphonies DVD won't necessarily include every one of the shorts (including the 3 Little Pigs).
    The more problematic shorts will probably be omitted from the collection completely, but let's hope that's not the case.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    According to some inside information....the Silly Symphonies DVD has BOTH versions. You can watch the uncensored version and the reissued version (note: The reissued version was altered because of WWII and was authorized by Walt Disney. It's not really censorship as was the change in Steamboat Willie. Call them producer's cuts.)
    Leonard Maltin is featured in an intro for the uncut version and he talks about Jewish stereotypes in the 1930's.
    ------------------
    Visit my DVD review site, 24 fps DVD Reviews @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/DVD/
    and
    The Colorized Cartoon Database @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/

4. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

I hope you're right Patrick. That sounds like the way to do it, what whith Leonard educating viewers, as opposed to Eisner handing out blinders with every dvd.
    ------------------
    "Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
    Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html

5. Brett Halsey

Brett Halsey Stunt Coordinator

Brett
    Does anyone know if Steamboat Willie will be on WDT: Mickey Mouse In Living Color?
    Thanks for any replies.

6. Louis-Olivier

Louis-Olivier Stunt Coordinator

"Does anyone know if Steamboat Willie will be on WDT: Mickey Mouse In Living Color?"
    Well.. Isn't Steamboat Willie a Black and White Cartoon? Wouldn't it be weird to include it on a disc called Mickey Mouse in LIVING COLOURS?

7. Aaron Ulmer

Aaron Ulmer Agent

8. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

What was cut from Steamboat Willy?

9. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

While I haven't seen the edit, apprently the section of Turkey In The Straw where Mickey pulls on the baby pig tails to get a squeaky melody has been edited. This was still intact on the Mickey Mouse Gold Collection videotape and laserdisc. Correct me if I'm wrong...
    I wonder if this is where Terry Jones got the Mouse Organ idea from? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]