What's new

Disney Silly Symphonies to be uncensored? (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
According to the DVD pamphlet that comes with Snow White, the Walt Disney Treasures DVDs are to be uncensored - does this mean we'll finally get The Three Little Pigs with its original Jewish Fuller Brush Man gag?
Original (in thick accent) - "I'm The Fuller Brush Man..I'm giving a free sample..."
All video versions (no accent, but low voice) - "I'm The Fuller Brush Man...I'm working my way through college..."
I saw the original in a 16mm presentation called 'Milestones In Animation' featuring Steamboat Willie, The Skeleton Dance Flowers And Trees, TLP and The Old Mill when I was very young and those films are well anticipated when the DVD comes out in December.
The PC edit of TLP is a disgrace, akin to Greedo Shoots First.
------------------
kdp.jpg

[Edited last by Keith Paynter on October 27, 2001 at 11:43 PM]

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
An 'uncensored' Silly Symphonies DVD won't necessarily include every one of the shorts (including the 3 Little Pigs).
The more problematic shorts will probably be omitted from the collection completely, but let's hope that's not the case.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
According to some inside information....the Silly Symphonies DVD has BOTH versions. You can watch the uncensored version and the reissued version (note: The reissued version was altered because of WWII and was authorized by Walt Disney. It's not really censorship as was the change in Steamboat Willie. Call them producer's cuts.)
Leonard Maltin is featured in an intro for the uncut version and he talks about Jewish stereotypes in the 1930's.
------------------
Visit my DVD review site, 24 fps DVD Reviews @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/DVD/
and
The Colorized Cartoon Database @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/

Brett Halsey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
Does anyone know if Steamboat Willie will be on WDT: Mickey Mouse In Living Color?
Thanks for any replies.

Louis-Olivier

Stunt Coordinator
"Does anyone know if Steamboat Willie will be on WDT: Mickey Mouse In Living Color?"
Well.. Isn't Steamboat Willie a Black and White Cartoon? Wouldn't it be weird to include it on a disc called Mickey Mouse in LIVING COLOURS?

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
While I haven't seen the edit, apprently the section of Turkey In The Straw where Mickey pulls on the baby pig tails to get a squeaky melody has been edited. This was still intact on the Mickey Mouse Gold Collection videotape and laserdisc. Correct me if I'm wrong...
I wonder if this is where Terry Jones got the Mouse Organ idea from?
wink.gif

------------------
kdp.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks