Uncensored Disney cartoons in December!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marty Christion, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

Did any of you Snow White DVD owners notice that the little promo book has an ad for the upcoming Silly Symphony and Mickey Mouse DVD sets? The add says "Uncensored" [​IMG]!
    Now if they would get to work on Song of the South...

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Unfortunately, Dumbo does not say uncensored, or uncut or original version. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

3. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Of course, Fantasia DOES say those things, and it's still an edited version.

4. Marty Christion

Where was Dumbo censored?

5. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

8. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Yeah, I was a bit shocked to see that bit in the "Decades" supplement... I took it as either a glimmer of hope that their revisionist history days are numbered, or simply a gross oversight. *sigh* Probably the latter.
    ------------------
    My collection:
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...=Kriegersaurus

9. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

From what I hreard, the shorts chosen were picked SPECIFICALLY because they are not offensive. The titles are all considered "clean: and did not need to be "edited."
    Look at the shorts, there is no rhyme or reason to them.... not cronilogical, or all the Mickeys, or anything like that- just samples...
    dave

10. Marty Christion

[Double Post]
    [Edited last by Marty Christion on October 10, 2001 at 04:12 PM]

11. Marty Christion

Umm, the site regarding the "Dumbo" edits references one bit of anecdotal evidence. I still don't think Disney edited chunks of "Dumbo" to cut out the crows, and it's been a secret all these years. Maybe I'll email Leonard Maltin or the Disney Archives and see what they have to say.
    As for the cartoon sets, on Amazon there is a "Mickey Mouse" set, which appears to have the cartoons in chronological order, as well as the "Davy Crockett" set, and the Silly Symphonies are arranged in groups according to their themes (fairy tales, favourite characters etc.), so I don't know what Dave is talking about.

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    They better be uncut.
    If they're censored....how about a nice big petition for Mike "animation censorship" Eisner.?
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

13. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

Marty:
    Not to start a pissing match, but....
    First off, I grant you- all five episodes of Davy Crockett are presented in their entirety... but that was not what I was refering to in my post. I meant the selective picking of the shorts used for inclusion of Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies. And since I know at least one person oinvolved in the picking process... and the criteria he used in picking, I still feel very justified in my statement. And I am happy to back it up with facts.
    Here are the Mickey Mouse cartoons as presented by Walt Disney Treasures - Mickey Mouse in Living Color according to Amazon.com ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005KARD/qid=1002748711/sr=2- 2/ref=sr_8_7_2/104-2334443-0135912 )
    • "The Band Concert"
    • "Mickey's Garden"
    • "Mickey's Fire Brigade"
    • "Pluto's Judgment Day"
    • "On Ice"
    • "Thru the Mirror"
    • "Mickey's Circus"
    • "Mickey's Elephant"
    • "Mickey's Grand Opera"
    • "Mickey's Polo Team"
    • "Alpine Climbers"
    • "Moving Day"
    • "Mickey's Rival"
    • "Orphan's Picnic"
    • "Hawaiian Holiday"
    • "Moose Hunters"
    • "The Worm Turns"
    • "Magician Mickey"
    • "Mickey's Amateurs"
    • "Clock Cleaners"
    • "Lonesome Ghosts"
    • "Mickey's Parrot"
    • "Boat Builders"
    • "The Whalers"
    • "Mickey's Trailer"
    • "Brave Little Tailor"
    (Note: I removed a couple easter eggs and other materials that are NOT Mickey Mouse cartoons.)
    The actual Mickey Mouse color shorts, in production order:
    The Band Concert- (1935)
    Mickey's Service Station- (1935)
    Mickey's Kangaroo- (1935)
    Mickey's Garden- (1935)
    Mickey's Fire Brigade- (1935)
    Pluto's Judgment Day- (1935)
    On Ice- (1935)
    Mickey's Polo Team- (1936)
    Orphans' Picnic- (1936)
    Mickey's Grand Opera- (1936)
    Thru The Mirror- (1936)
    Mickey's Rival- (1936)
    Moving Day- (1936)
    Alpine Climbers- (1936)
    Mickey's Circus- (1936)
    Donald And Pluto- (1936)
    Mickey's Elephant- (1936)
    Mother Pluto- (1936)
    The Worm Turns- (1937)
    Don Donald (Yes Marty--- Don Donald IS a Mickey Mouse Cartoon!!!!)
    Magician Mickey- (1937)
    Moose Hunters- (1937)
    Mickey's Amateurs- (1937)
    Hawaiian Holiday- (1937)
    Clock Cleaners- (1937)
    Pluto's Quin-Puplets- (1937)
    Lonesome Ghosts- (1937)
    (I could go on, but this proves my point.)
    Close Marty- Very Close, but no cigar! You will see that Mickey's Service Station, Mickey's Kangaroo (Both B&W), Mickey's Polo Team, Donald And Pluto, Mother Pluto, Don Donald, and Pluto's Quin-Puplets are ALL missing, and I only did through 1937!
    I have not been all the way through Silly Symphonies, but if all are included, you should have 74 shorts on THAT DVD! (Since The Skeleton Dance- the first SS- and The Ugly Duckling (1939)- the second to last SS- are both included in this set).
    Finally, the crows edited out of Dumbo are well documented... I have some of the cut sequences on tape myself! But if you prefer to think Disney would never do that, well... I guess Disney's reconstruction of their history is working on some people!
    Please do not attempt to pass off your assumptions as fact....
    dave
    [Edited last by Dave Koch on October 10, 2001 at 05:17 PM]
    [Edited last by Dave Koch on October 10, 2001 at 05:25 PM]

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

15. Marty Christion

I never claimed that all the Mickey Mouse cartoons are there, nor has Disney, that I've seen. The complaint was that the cartoons weren't grouped together in a logical fashion, and I was pointing out that they were arranged by theme or chronologically. I also think it's safe to assume that the spots that were left out include prominently feature characters like Donald Duck or Goofy, and would be more appropriate in future sets highlighting their careers (and with titles like "Donald And Pluto", "Mother Pluto", "Don Donald", and "Pluto's Quin-Puplets", that would make sense). Also, the set is titled "Mickey Mouse in Living Color" (did your "inside source" forget to get the title of the set off of Amazon?), so unless they wanted to colorize some B&W cartoons (which wouldn't have bothered anyone in this forum, I'm sure [​IMG]), maybe its best they weren't included. So which color Mickey Mouse cartoons (in which he is the main character) did they leave out?
    As for the Silly Symphonies, I was just pointing out that they had made some attempt to arrange them in some sort of order (in response to your original complaint that they hadn't). I never claimed that the set contained all of the Silly Symphonies, and I don't think Disney ever made that claim either.
    As per my original post, I was just pointing out that none of these cartoons is supposed to have been censored, as that has been a concern of some people. If you have any inside information that a cartoon in this set has been censored, then please let us know.
    And as for Dumbo's editing being "widely known", other than the one anecdotal report from 1973, can you give me some other resources? I'm not saying they wouldn't, but I require a bit more substantiation before I get my panties in a wad.

16. Marty Christion

Oh, and if The Ugly Duckling was the second to last Silly Symphony, what was the last one?
    [Edited last by Marty Christion on October 10, 2001 at 06:47 PM]

17. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Are there any early reviews of the Walt Disney Treasures collection out yet? I'm particularly interested in the 2 Mickey Mouse collections. Thanks.
    ~Edwin

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Edwin,
    I assume you mean the two animated short collections (Mickey Mouse in Living Color and Silly Symphonies), but either way, I have yet to see any reviews. I pre-ordered with an Amazon gift certificate, so I probably won't see them until the Friday after they come out, anyway. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

19. Aaron Ulmer

Aaron Ulmer Agent

I decided to look into this issue a little further. It does not appear to me that Disney has selected these shorts based on "censorability" alone. Of the 58 titles that comprise the two shorts collections (Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies), 8 titles have known censorship issues. I pulled this information from Persistence of Vision :
    Country Cousin (1936)
    Country mouse gets drunk. (O-8:41; E-6:38)
    Magician Mickey (1937)
    Goofy sticks finger in socket of light bulb. Gun scenes not edited. (O-7:05; E-6:15)
    Mickey's Amateurs (1937)
    Donald shoots a machine gun, audience ducks. (O-7:54; E-6:51)
    Mickey's Polo Team (1936)
    Laurel tries to hit his horse's rump with a stick to get it to go, instead he hits Hardy. Scene of Harpo setting Donald afire with blow torch is not edited. (O-8:16; E-7:59)
    Mickey's Trailer (1938)
    Goofy accidentally sticks fork into a light socket and is electrocuted. Electricity passes through Goofy and pops the corn on the cob into popcorn. (O-7:11; E-6:47)
    Toby Tortoise Returns (1936)
    Toby dreams of being in a harem after being hit, shown smoking water pipe. Max Hare and person in audience smoking cigars not edited. (O-6:54; E-6:37)
    Woodland Cafe (1937)
    Black doorman. Female (fly) smoking (male spider smoking in same scene is not edited). Blacks singing and dancing (grasshoppers). Many scenes of "black" bugs are not edited. (O-7:03; E-5:55)
    Worm Turns, The (1937)
    Pete says, "I'm going to blow your head off." Shadow shown with gun being cocked. Not edited: other gun scenes; Pete saying, "I'm going to murder you, I'm going to fill you full of lead." (O-7:14; E-7:12)
    It remains to be seen if all these edits will be restored, but at this point, it doesn't seem as if Disney is avoiding the issue altogether. They could have made a complete collection with titles that have never been censored.
    It's interesting to note that some of the shorts listed above have well over a minute excised. Let's hope Disney keeps its word and delivers these completely uncut.

20. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew