Custom Inserts: Mickey Mouse in Black and White

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steven Wesley, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    With all the talk about studios not including inserts on many recent releases, I thought I would add a smile to your day... Announcing my custom DVD insert set for Mickey Mouse in Black and White, the 4th in my series for the Walt Disney Treasures collection.

In this collection of free inserts, you'll discover shocking details, such as:
    • Donald Duck promoting the use of asbestos
    • Tobacco addictions of early Disney film characters
    • The identity of the "actual" first black and white Mickey Mouse short
    • Stereotypes of various people groups explained
    • Mickey Mouse having no problem firing a gun when angry
    • Sensual tango dancing by Minnie
    • Gratuitous violence against animals by our favorite corporate icon
    • And much, much more!
    This project would not have been possible without the gracious help of fellow HTF member Enrique Chamorro. He was kind enough to mail me the inserts from his original Mickey Mouse: The Black and White Years - Volume One laserdisc. Using this information as a basis, combined with the resources found at the Encyclopedia of Disney Animated Shorts, the Big Cartoon Database, and personal research, I was able to come up with a (hopefully) helpful companion to the DVD set that so many of you have already purchased.

I'm very thankful that Disney learned from some of the shortcomings in Wave 1, many of which prompted me to create these types of inserts in the first place. Thankfully, we now have been given the option to list the chronological order of the shorts on a disc (though it seems like we traded off the PLAY ALL feature to get it... which never played every short anyway). It was also nice to see the use of Easter Eggs toned down (unlike the treasure hunt that was Silly Symphonies). As far as I can tell, we aren't given any previously edited shorts like were found in Living Color and Silly Symphonies. Leonard Maltin's "prefaces" throughout Black and White avoids editing by putting the films into today's context. Also, unlike the Disneyland USA set, it doesn't appear that we have any content that was edited for the DVD because Disney had rights/permissions issues. Overall, they did a great job this second time around.

Like previous insert sets, this collection contains a chronological list of release dates for each short, along with the name of the director and summary. When applicable, I've provided insight to information "behind the short" as well as explain controversial scenes via an "uncensored" listing. Additionally, instructions for finding the Easter Eggs are included. If you have never downloaded any of my inserts before, here is a compressed snapshot of what one looks like:

[​IMG]

Each insert has been converted into PDF format so that it will print with accurate resolution and dimension on your printer. Scissors are not included. [​IMG] Personally, I've run my inserts through a lamination machine, which helps them hold up well.

But that's not all! No sir, today is your lucky day, because I've gone back and revised my previous inserts with more current information and an easy-to-read format. If you haven't done so already, make sure you grab Version 2.0 of these older creations! These sets include:
    • Mickey Mouse in Living Color
    • Silly Symphonies
    • Disneyland USA
    So now you are probably asking yourself, "Steve, where can I get these fine collections of inserts that Ei$ner should have included the first time around?" That's a good question!

Click here for a listing of available inserts

As always, I'm grateful for the HTF community because it's been a helpful resource for me as I've been introduced to DVD. These inserts are a way I feel I can give back for all the knowledge everyone has shared. And please, if you find any inaccuracies, want to provide feedback, or just have a suggestion, let me know. I'd love to hear from you!

Enjoy!

- Steve

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

You, sir, deserve a medal. [​IMG] Well done! Now, on to The Complete Goofy.... [​IMG]

3. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

GREAT JOB!!!

I am happy to help!
    I have done a few DVD comparisons at www.dvdbeaver.com
    and I have been able to do a few screen grabs for the
    great alternate DVD covers by Chris Elder at DVDcoverart .

Everyone working together can make things a little better!

(Looking forward to future inserts![​IMG] )

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Jeff Howard

Jeff Howard Agent

Fantastic..Thanks!!!

6. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

Great job thanks ! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cheers,

Vincent

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steven,

Once again you rule! Bring on GOOFY!!!

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Why hasn't Disney hired you yet?

Great job![​IMG]

9. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Steve,

Thanks once again for the wonderful inserts.

If you don't mind, can you print out a set for me and laminate them for me?[​IMG]

10. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve