What's new

Todd Gilchrist

Premium
Reviewer
As this pandemic year (hopefully) reaches its climax, the holiday season promises to offer some welcome and familiar comforts — namely, the handful of classics and mainstays we collectively revisit annually to get into the spirit of the season. At the same time, streaming services have not only developed new material they hope will soon join the ranks of those standard-bearers, but have collected holiday fare with increasing specificity from familiar sources to provide a virtual smorgasbord of options.
Ahead of Thanksgiving and with other year-end celebrations not far off in the distance, we looked at offerings from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and Disney+. Disney’s selections were immediately the most exciting, as much as anything because their service includes The Simpsons, and programmers compiled all of the series’...

Continue reading...

Todd Gilchrist

Premium
Reviewer
How could the original MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET be omitted from this list?
Certainly it deserves mention! I actually didn't realize that the version on Disney+ was the 1947 version and not the one from 1994. But either way, I was in no way trying to be comprehensive or definitive with my listings, only spotlighting some of the titles included. But I agree - go watch MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET!

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
I would add 1940's Remember the Night with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray, 1945's Christmas in Connecticut with Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan and Sidney Greenstreet (my favorite performance of his), 1942's Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire and Marjorie Reynolds, and even though it's a 4-season musical---1944's Meet Me in St. Louis with Judy Garland and Margaret O'Brien introducing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."

Todd Gilchrist

Premium
Reviewer
I would add 1940's Remember the Night with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray, 1945's Christmas in Connecticut with Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan and Sidney Greenstreet (my favorite performance of his), 1942's Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire and Marjorie Reynolds, and even though it's a 4-season musical---1944's Meet Me in St. Louis with Judy Garland and Margaret O'Brien introducing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."
Sure! Are these on streaming services for free anywhere/ included in the subscription price? There are definitely a lot of holiday classics I would have loved to include but they're not available, or at least available yet. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Remember the Night has in the last couple of years become a holiday tradition at my house. I can't believe I had never seen it until two years ago. Now, I always look forward to watching it. Gives me a lump in my throat every time I watch it (along with laughing a good bit, too). Stanwyck and MacMurray are always great together.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Disney could do me a huge favor and add the 1973 version of Miracle on 34th street to its line up. And the full 100 minute movie please. Is there a music rights conflict with this one?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
It’s worth noting that Disney+ is expected to be adding the extended version of Muppets Christmas Carol (with the “When Love is Gone” number) this weekend (it was initially going to be Sunday, but now I’m seeing reports that it will go up tomorrow).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks