1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dish or DirectTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Handy, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

This has probably been beaten into the ground, but Iam having a real tough time deciding which to get? I have a Toshiba 50H81, and am in the market for one of the two services. The problem is that I can not currently afford the HD receiver, so I am planning on getting the dish and a basic receiver to start with, then upgrade in a few months.
    My question is this: anybody with a Tosh --H81 series. What do you think? Personally after looking at all the posts, it looks to be television/area/receiver specific. But I am trying to narrow things down. Oh, I also live in Charlottesville, VA - so anybody nearby with experience here would be most relevant. Thanks!

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Well, the only thing DirecTV will get you is HDnet and the sports packages. Other than that, Dish is pretty much better all the way.
    I went with DirecTV basically for HDnet (www.hd.net) which is doubtful to appear on Dish any time soon. Dish on the other hand uses less compression (though neither are anything like they were in the earlier days...), and is generally a much easier company to deal with.
    I have owned both at various times... and I would have loved to gone with Dish again, but HDnet is just to enticing, to me.