Dish 6000 OS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny R, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

What OS does the Dish 6000 receiver use? Is it OpenTV software and looks the same as the PVR501 and 301, or does it have a different interface.

If different, can anyone post or point me to a screenshot of what the guide looks like?

I'm thinking of buying one of these for christmas, but if its got a totally different look and feel for the interface I'll probably pass. (I'd wait for the 921, but who knows how long that might take now)

2. DanP

DanP Agent

The 6000 doesnt use OpenTv. Originally it was said that they were going to be upgraded to OpenTv via a software download (as they're currently doing with the 3800's and 4700's) but they later changed their minds and now say it wont ever be. Thus it is a very bone basic and primitive looking interface.

That said, for me personally, I couldnt care less about the interface. I tend to watch the programming and not the menu system. And it's not like I'm biased because I also have a DirecTv HD receiver with the Advanced Program Guide and it blows away the 6000's. But again, so what?

Not sure where you can get a screen shot of a 6000.

3. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Danny R,
    Some screen shots of the 6000 menu and guide are below. These were taken under less than ideal conditions with a cheap digital camera, but you'll get the idea. I agree with everything DanP says about the guide being primitive but functional. Given how good the HD picture is I don't spend much time looking at the guide either...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]