What's new

Discovery HD channel launches today on Dish Network (1 Viewer)

Jim Benard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I can't wait!!! It's free right now until Aug. 1st, starting July 1st, 6000 Dish owners can order a new plug-in to add to their unit. If you order the annual subscription, the module is free. This is not the OTA HD module you might already have it's a new one that plugs into a 2nd slot. Here's more info:

Discovery to Launch HD Theater

By Monica Hogan
Multichannel News
4/16/02 12:21:00 PM

Discovery Communications Inc. said Monday that it would launch a 24-hour high-definition-television network, Discovery HD Theater, June 17.

The programmer said the channel’s launch supports the Federal Communications Commission’s goal of spurring the growth of the HDTV market.

The channel will be advertising-supported and offer clients the chance to run ads in HDTV.

'Advertisers who are vested with us in accelerating the high-definition trend are interested in partnering with us,' vice president of new media Clint Stinchcomb said.

The company has an HDTV library of 115 titles.

Discovery also said Monday that it is launching a subscription-video-on-demand service, called Discovery on Demand, offering up to 500 titles from its 70,000-hour library at any given time.

The company will also offer an advertising-based free VOD service called Choice 10 Discovery, which will provide a more limited number of titles.

'Cox Communications [Inc.] congratulates Discovery on today’s announcement of high-value digital-content services that should further the national goal of establishing digital television as the transmission medium of the future,' Cox president and CEO Jim Robbins said in a prepared statement.

'Discovery has always produced content of enormous value that drives each phase of our digital rollout,' he added. 'We are pleased to be affiliated with Discovery as a major distributor and as a supportive shareholder.'

From Laura Danyliw
General Manager - Programming
EchoStar Communications Corp.

We are launching Discovery HD Theater. We will be launching the channel in two stages and on two separate channels both at our 61.5 orbital location.

Beginning June 17th:
9443 is currently our HD Demo Channel broadcast in QPSK. We will be running the Demo Channel content during the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET and then switching over to Discovery HD Theater from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. ET. This channel will be broadcast in free access. We will continue to do the split broadcast until August 1, 2002.

July 1st:
9420 will be broadcasting Discovery HD Theater 24/7 in 8PSK as a subscription service for $7.99/month or $96 annually. In order to see this channel, an Enhanced HD module will be needed to be plugged in to a model 6000 receiver. Beginning July 1, you will be able to call 1-888-222-3474 to have the module shipped to you free of charge. The cost of this module is $49. If you choose to buy an annual subscription to Discovery HD Theater, the module is free of charge as well.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Yesssss! I just switched from DirecTV last month - GREAT decision! :D My wife stumbled over the new channel while checking out the guide schedule for HBO-HD.
I'll pay the 8 bucks a month!
Thank you Charlie!!!
Pete

Michael Hurst

Stunt Coordinator
'Cox Communications [Inc.] congratulates Discovery on today’s announcement of high-value digital-content services that should further the national goal of establishing digital television as the transmission medium of the future,' Cox president and CEO Jim Robbins said in a prepared statement.
Now if we could just get Cox to give us HD cable

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Dish network will provide the module for no charge with a one year subcription to to discovery HD,$96.00..It will plug into the 2nd port in the back of the 6000...It will be worth getting as new HD(such as the addtional HD net channels Mark Cuben is said to be releasing by the end of this year) channels will on Dish will require the use of this module...

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Michael,

Check with your local Cox office. Mine here in Northern Va has info on their website stating that later this year/early next they are going to start rolling out a HD service and will rent the HD cable boxes.

Jeff

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
How about some technical information about the new module? Why is it required? What inputs and outputs does it provide? (Or does it have inputs/outputs?)

- Steve

Mike I

Supporting Actor
The module is an 8psk module which is another modulation skeme..It allows dish to put 3 hd channels on one transponder....All new HD channels dish adds will use the 8PSK modulation...
At this point I am not sure if it has any imputs at all or if is is just a plug in module..I really doubt it will have any outputs...

Mike I

Supporting Actor
By the way the discovery channel debute last night was incredable..5.1 DD and great picture..There were a few HD commercials also..Best Buy had an HD commercial..First HD commercial I have seen...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Agreed, the preview last night was incredible. I'm signing up for a year and getting the new 8PSK module for free...a real no-brainer.

Add to Discovery HD Theater last night...Goldfinger in HD on ABC and Mark Cuban's HD-Net being broadcast OTA on one of my Dallas digital stations, and it was an awesome high definition evening.

- Steve

Mike I

Supporting Actor
It is incredable what a difference 2 years has been in HD progamming..2 Years ago we were lucky to get 10 hours a week..Now there is a choice of many HD programming options on any givin night..This fall will be even better as we see a good deal more HD programming from NBC a handful of shows from WB and UPN...

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The Insect show last night was breathtaking, although the shows following it (Wildebeasts & Dinosaurs) were not as high-def looking. I'm going to rush home tonight to catch the early showing of the Praying Mantis program. I have no problem paying $8 for this channel, but it would be nice if it was like HBO so I could get all the Discovery channels as a package since I'm not signed up to Dish's regular plans.

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
Some very nice video!
The DD 5.1 audio could be improved though.
There is no center channel info on three of the DD 5.1 programs, Aluetian Mummies, Argentina, Wildebeast.
I am still waiting for actual DD 5.1 as PBS HD Nova has.

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
No center channel for Praying Mantis.
Update 6/19:
The Sacred Mountains of Asia finally came thru with actual DD 5.1.
Dialog at the center with active surrounds.
Keep it coming Discovery HD Theater!!

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Thanks, guys, for providing this information.

Why do I never learn this directly from Dish Network?
They could email, post info on their website, include it with the monthly statements, or make a special mailing to subscribers.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
What a great addition...
The Madagascar insect & the Preying Mantis shows were incredible. The colors and clarity at times were stunning.
This is like PBS on steroids.
Ever feel like your female mate bit your head off? That poor male mantis found utopia then the guillotine :eek:.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I've been watchinng it for the last 2 nights and just watched the Hawaii surfers. Damn did that ocean look so blue :eek: The waves were gigantic and vivid.
Good Job Discovery :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Discovery HD is showing some of the most spectacular HD programming I have seen so far...The praying mantis HD quality was nothing short of incredable..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks