What's new

Discovery HD channel launches today on Dish Network (1 Viewer)

DennisHP

Second Unit
I guess I don't get it.. it's free right now with no extra hardware needed to receive it, but after August 1st we'll need more hardware and a subscription?

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
it's free right now with no extra hardware needed to receive it, but after August 1st we'll need more hardware and a subscription?
Dennis,

That's a good question, why is it that were able to watch it now with no hardware? What does the new piece offer now that we don't have?

DennisHP

Second Unit
We are launching Discovery HD Theater. We will be launching the channel in two stages and on two separate channels both at our 61.5 orbital location
I'm not pointed at the 61.5 bird since I can't se it. So I'm out of the whole thing? The whole reason I got HDTV was to see HDTV and already I'm being excluded. I sure hope I've got this wrong.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The new $49 module allows multiple HD channels to be decoded from a single transponder...in other words, Dish Network will be able to transmit more HD content over the same bandwidth. More HD content is good.

Discovery HD Theater is a pay channel, like HBO. It is only free during this preview period.

But if you subscribe for a year, they give you the $49 module.

If 61.5 is not available to you, I guess you don't get to see the content on 61.5.

- Steve

Mike I

Supporting Actor
The 8psk Module has only one input..You will now have to plug in the incoming cable from the dish into the 8psk module..
As mentioned before, the psk modulation skeme allows dish to put 3 HD channels on one transponder..This is actually a good thing as it will allow dish to add as many HD channels that come along with out running out of bandwidth...
Dish is in talks with Mark Cuban of HD net to add his 3 new HD channels due out the end of this year..

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
I don't mind paying for content but paying for content and having to see commercials....I don't think so. Eight bucks a month is more than I would have to pay to get ALL of the HBO channels if I used one of their special packages.

Even if we pay for it now to help boost HD content and get this ball rolling I can't believe that they could continue to do this in a couple of years.

Would you still pay for this channel if everything else is in HD? Personally I get enough free Discovery type HD content OTA for free from PBS and HDNet so I guess I am going to pass on this.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Jeff, it might come to you down the line anyway in the form of a free hardware upgrade from the direct/dish merger. But you'll have to catch up on the 100+ Discovery HD titles already in the can. The card will also be needed for HDNET/1/2/3/4 & other new upcoming HD programming.

I'll take the subscription (great summer programming) & the free card.

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
I called Dish Network today because I get my HD from 148 and not 61.5. They said Discovery HD will be available via 148 on July 1. Sadly, I will be getting no free promo :frowning: .

Patrick G

Second Unit
I don't understand how they can still be misplacing their translucent logo after almost a week on the air. It's placed too far right on the screen.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
If you have a Dish 6000, you can adjust the picture to the right and left, which will minimize the logo being truncated on the side.
Also, the Discovery web site has info and schedule for the upcoming weeks:
http://dhd.discovery.com/
Leopard Son is on right now...amazing shots of African scenery and wildlife.
- Steve

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I noticed the logo being too far to the right of the screen, so I used the opportunity to adjust the picture overscan on my set. I have no High Definition test patterns, so I did the original adjustments by eye, so the logo was a good excuse to tweek my settings.

From what I can tell about the extra module, I think it will be needed to receive the 24 hour Discovery HD channel, while the 12 hour version on the demo channel will still be available through August 1st. I would guess it would be cheapest to wait until the end of July to order the module free with the 1 year subscription.

Patrick G

Second Unit
If I adjust the centering via the 6000 so that the logo is entirely visible, then all my other channels won't be centered correctly. My overscan is set at 4% on the sides. Discovery is just misplacing the logo.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Patrick,
How much of the logo are you missing?
According to my calculations (which could very well be wrong) 4% overscan should just barely still have all of the logo displayed.
With my CRT projector set up with no overscan on an 80" wide image I measured about 1.750 inches between the side of the logo and the end of the picture. This much would allow for 4% overscan and you should be able to get the whole logo. Can you adjust your overscan down anymore?
Kevin C. :)

VicRuiz

Second Unit
To relieve some of your stress, what you mention has nothing to do with Discovery. The Dish 6000 receiver has a slightly distorted geometry, expanding the picture horizontally a little bit. Consequently, the logo appears to be closer to the right side of the frame than it actually is. You can verify this bug by measuring the side bars on a 4:3 broadcast in HD mode. The sidebars are narrower than they should be for a 4:3 ratio. This was discussed when the 6000 first came out two years ago.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
There is a great interview with one of the head people of Dicovery channel and HD magazine for anyone who subscribes to HDTV mag, check it out..

Patrick G

Second Unit
Vic, then why are my NBC HD and CBS HD logos placed correctly? It seems as if Discovery is placing the logo in an acceptable position, but not in a good position.

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
So I have a question here....

Discovery HD is only available on DISH -
HDNet is only available on DirecTV -

However -
HDNet is planning to come to DISH later this year, correct?

If that is true, then DISH would offer everything DirecTV does, and more, for less. The only negative being the two to three dishes, and the lack of choice on the HD receiver.

Is the 6000 receiver pretty good? If Dish and DirecTV are merging, Id hate to buy a top-of-the line DirecTV receiver (Sony/Toshiba, etc..) to only have it be replaced by something they 'give' us...

What's this I hear about the 6000 receiver geometry?

Thanks for any help/info! Are there any special promotions for a Dish HD system (6000 receiver and dishes)?

Thanks!

-Ryan Dinan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks