What's new

Discaholics Anonymous (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have the opposite problem. I always watch any newly purchased disc first to make sure it is not defective. Because of this, I never have time to re-watch favourites. My entire collection consists of things recorded from TCM that I haven’t watched yet, and Blu rays and DVDs that I have only watched once.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I don't have nearly as much physical media as some people & definitely try to stream a lot (to save money, space, etc.). However, I have a plethora of TV shows/movies I want to watch that I haven't gotten to yet - a lot of this is physical media, and a lot of it is streaming - which can't be under emphasized.

In addition to all of the material that I've never seen before, I also really want to go back & re-watch - in their entirety - shows like The Sopranos, Deadwood, Seinfeld, The Wire, Smallville, Lost - and too many others to list. Not sure I'll ever be able to, but it will be fun to try - LOL.

Last edited:

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
Wow. I would love to have enough room to have all my movies on shelves. We are currently looking at moving or building an addition so I may get this yet! My collection of over 7000 are in bankers boxes that are labeled and numbered. I use the Movie Collector database program and have the location listed for each so I know where to find it.

The guy in the video said that he has the VHS version of movies that he has upgraded. I only keep things that are different. If the DVD has different special features than the Blu-ray, I'll keep both. And I have many duplicates of silent films for different musical scores. But I don't really see a point to keeping a much inferior format unless it is not available otherwise. I am trying to not rewatch much but instead explore the many blind buys I've made.

Sometimes I feel like I spend more time maintaining the collection than enjoying it. I'm really trying to change that.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I find it difficult to part with the DVD duplicates when I get the Blu for some reason. There really is no market for them. What I do, is put them in those window envelopes, throw away their packaging, and store the disc in the Blu ray case with the new Blu ray of the movie. That way if I ever want to see the movie and am only near a DVD player (a completely unlikely occurrence!) ...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Wow. I would love to have enough room to have all my movies on shelves. We are currently looking at moving or building an addition so I may get this yet! My collection of over 7000 are in bankers boxes that are labeled and numbered. I use the Movie Collector database program and have the location listed for each so I know where to find it.

The guy in the video said that he has the VHS version of movies that he has upgraded. I only keep things that are different. If the DVD has different special features than the Blu-ray, I'll keep both. And I have many duplicates of silent films for different musical scores. But I don't really see a point to keeping a much inferior format unless it is not available otherwise. I am trying to not rewatch much but instead explore the many blind buys I've made.

Sometimes I feel like I spend more time maintaining the collection than enjoying it. I'm really trying to change that.
I hope I’m not out of line by commenting that you are a very rare type of species of collectus movius Maximus. You are a female collectus movius Maximus. :P Very few exist in the wild.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim

I agree with this 100%. I typically unload my DVD's if I have the same movies/TV shows on Blu.

In addition - this is just me, but I also don't see the value of keeping most VHS tapes; even if they're not available on DVD/Blu, you can typically find streams of the material. I just don't like having older media formats lying around, since you also have to keep these no-longer-produced players - which will almost certainly break over time, and need potentially expensive/complicated repair(s).

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I need to catalog mine. You may have just motivated me to do so. :)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
What is it about the March/April period that brings the topic of discaholism to the fore every couple of years?

Looking back on the activity on this thread, it’s been exclusively during this same period in 2015, 2017 and now 2019. Very odd - both literally and figuratively.

Thank you Jim (@The Drifter ) for resurrecting this topic, and to everyone else for their continuing input. I was a little humbled by that 15,000-plus collection. Our library is one-fifth that size and friends still consider us mad ...especially when they discover that our disc collection is still growing. In particular, my IT colleagues can’t fathom why streaming and digital downloads haven’t replaced my physical disc purchases. They advocate bit-torrent as the sane solution.

Like Suzanne’s, our collection is catalogued. I use the facility provided by blu-ray.com for this purpose. That database is downloadable in multiple product formats and provides a cool feature that compares my collection with others’ to find closest matches. Knowing those other collectors have similar tastes to mine allows me to get ideas for other titles in their collection that might appeal to me too. I’ve found some neat titles that way.

With some DVDs that have been upgraded to Blu-ray, I place them into boxes for giveaway - although I’ve found few takers. Like others here, I also hang on to DVDs that have special features not ported to Blu. Strangely enough [if you’ve paid attention to this thread, ‘strange’ is very subjective here] I like hanging onto the worst-quality transfers on DVD that have been improved the most through restoration efforts. I sometimes air bits of these in comparison to their restored counterparts to showcase the remarkable work involved in preserving these endangered species.

Recently, my discaholism has been presenting new (strange?) symptoms. I wonder if others here have these thoughts. Reading about the halt to DVD player manufacture got me thinking about the end of cycle of Blu-ray players. I believe it’ll be a long time yet before Blu-ray players stop being made; however, here in Oz, there is basically only one player-manufacturer that builds multi-region players. Having purchased a vast amount of region-A locked discs from Criterion, Kino and the like, I do wonder whether it would be wise to invest in some backup multi-region players now, while they are still readily available [I live in B-land]. It’s probably not a huge risk, as DIY kits are available to modify region-locked players, but we’re probably going to get a couple of back-up players just in case.

Enough to drive a man to disc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks