What's new

Directv Raising Prices And Removing Channels (1 Viewer)

MatS

Screenwriter
just saw this elsewhere and am not too pleased
as a Total Choice subscriber I am having my price per month raised $5 and they are taking 13 channels away :angry:

I guess I might have to exercise my total choice to go elsewhere

MatS

Screenwriter
ok I just read elsewhere that the reduction of 13 channels is for new subs only
makes me feel better

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Comcast has been yanking channels from our economy basic (~$10) package like crazy. I think we have more channels in Spanish than in English now. MSNBC is supposedly the next to go.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
One of the main reasons to dump cable and go with satellite is quickly becoming extinct. Dish and DirectTv are about as bad as those they speak against.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The subtraction of channels is the main reason why I am less likely to renew my satellite.

mylan

Screenwriter
You can't catch a break either way. Charter is raising prices too but I do not think they are subtracting channels. My package with almost everything, HD tier with DVR and 5meg cable internet is already $157 a month!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
100 channels, 500 channels, there still ain't nothing on!

I actually cancelled DISH NET years ago because so many channels were playing distacting, in your face promos at all possible moments, over the show itself in a quarter of the screen, same promo they'd just played minutes before. ....also, one of my favorite channels TechTV warped into something I didn't like as much and dropped all the best people involved with it. It became something that wasn't worth paying for. Sure, the business has to off-load the rising cost of channels by either dropping them or raising the price, or a little of both. If it's not worth it to you then the message is sent when you drop the service.

That list of channels to be dropped wouldn't bother me too much. Golf? Blah! WGN, National Geographic, ESPN Classic, E! would be the only ones concerning me. so I'd probably keep paying at this point. I never watched those when I had mine anyway.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Our basic cable is just chock full of channels we don't give a damn about. We get loads of Spanish and Asian channels, lots of religion and shopping channels...and it doesn't matter WHAT channel you watch between about 10pm and 8am---they're ALL showing stupid infomercials anyway. Tv is a bigger waste than ever; by showing infomercials so much, these networks lose what threadbare identities they had in the first place. And then the cable co. wants us to pay more for such choice premium channels as SoapNet, Sleuth, Golf Classics, etc...what difference would it make, if all they show is the same damn infomercials as the channels we already get?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
/ / /

Thread closed. (well, I don't actually have the authorization to do that....but if I did.....!!)

I miss late night TV. Luckily we can recreate it ourselves with classic reruns and old movies on DVD. Reminds me, I still need to pick up those Elvira DVDs.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Every single person who I know who bought a dish switched to Comcast because in Seattle they offer a lot more HDTV.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Tv is a bigger waste than ever"

I couldnt wait to get rid of Direct TV, but was locked into a contract.
Went back to digital cable immediately. The reception was much clearer and better channels.

I agree cable pretty much sucks. They could get rid of 90% of my channels and I wouldnt even notice. I really just stick to Discovery type stuff and movie channels.

As far a premiums channels go, HBO and Cinemax are especially sucky. Youll see different movies on Starz, but those 2 just keep replaying the same crap for months.

Remember the old days when you could actually see diversity and lots of different cool movies on Cinemax. It used to be the best channel in the 80s and through the mid 90s.

Our company added about 1/2 dozen HD channels a couple months ago, we have close to 2 dozen now. Still not enough.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What was so damning about what he said? I get more Spanish channels than English channels now. My Spanish is, to say the very least, mediocre. The vast majority of my fellow subscribers probably don't even have that rudimentary grasp of the language. Why should we have to pay for an overabundance of channels in a non-dominant language? Same with the Asian channel, which I don't have the slightest grasp of. I bet if cable were to go a la carte, the Spanish channels (with the exception of Univision which has a very real and self-sufficient market share), the Asian channel, BET, and the eight or so religious channels would be the first to go.

If a la carte, I'd get: the locals (Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, the CW, the PBS's), Comedy Central, Scifi, USA, and the news channels (Fox, CNN [preferably International], and MSNBC). That's really all I'd watch and all I'd need. Even assuming each skyrocketed to an astronomical $2/subscriber due to the loss of people that don't give a shit about those channels, that's still half of today's basic cable.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The wonderful infomercial comments. I wanted to strip off my clothes and waddle in those words..... That's how much I miss late night TV like it used to be.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Tell me about it! All of the TV options suck! Comcast is getting worse and worse, yet there really isn't much alternative when everything else is as bad or worse. :frowning:

The only thing I could really do is cancel cable, but that won't make much of a statement. The only thing that really gives me any solace is, when I write out my check to the Comcast, I wrtie "For Crappy Service" in the comments section.

It probably doesn't do a damn thing, but if I'm going to write out that check, I may as well get some sort of pleasure from it. :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The local competitor's coverage area stops at the bottom of the hill my apartment building is on...:angry: I can't wait until Verizon gets its FiOS service out here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks