What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (4 Viewers)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've bought and sold codes. No shame in it.

I probably have a spare Alien from the new 4K disk if anyone wants a treat, free on me. First PM gets it =)

Edit: wait I thought previous Alien purchases were updating to 4k? On Vudu it says I own HDX. I can't see what iTunes version I have on my phone. If it's 4k on iTunes I will give away my new code, no matter Vudu quality. If I have to redeem the new code to get 4K I'll rescind my offer, sorry.

This 'upgrades on one service but not another' bullshit has GOT to go.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I probably have a spare Alien from the new 4K disk if anyone wants a treat, free on me. First PM gets it =)

Edit: wait I thought previous Alien purchases were updating to 4k? On Vudu it says I own HDX. I can't see what iTunes version I have on my phone. If it's 4k on iTunes I will give away my new code, no matter Vudu quality. If I have to redeem the new code to get 4K I'll rescind my offer, sorry.

Here’s s way to tell. Go to the CheapCharts app. Search Alien. Click on the buy button and it will tell you if you own the 4K.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Where did you buy it? If you bought it on iTunes, you own 4K, it you bought it anywhere else it will not upgrade. Also, if an iTunes purchase is upgraded to 4K after it has been imported into Movies Anywhere, the MA version will not bump up to 4K. Only titles that are already 4K when you buy them get imported into MA as 4K.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Where did you buy it? If you bought it on iTunes, you own 4K, it you bought it anywhere else it will not upgrade. Also, if an iTunes purchase is upgraded to 4K after it has been imported into Movies Anywhere, the MA version will not bump up to 4K. Only titles that are already 4K when you buy them get imported into MA as 4K.

Thanks. That is remarkably stupid.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Here’s s way to tell. Go to the CheapCharts app. Search Alien. Click on the buy button and it will tell you if you own the 4K.

Guess I gotta redeem my code. F these stupid asshat rules

upload_2019-4-24_18-4-52.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-24_18-4-52.png
    upload_2019-4-24_18-4-52.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 24

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Why is it stupid?

iTunes has said they will upgrade purchases you make on their store to 4K. A digital code redemption on Movies Anywhere or Vudu is not a purchase at their store.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Vudu must not have a 4K transfer of Alien. I redeemed the code that came with the disc via MA, and it shows I only have the HDX version in Vudu (MA showed the redemption as UHD).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Where are they buying one thing and getting another?

The sheet that comes with these movies is pretty clear on how to redeem them properly and what you get?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Where are they buying one thing and getting another?

The sheet that comes with these movies is pretty clear on how to redeem them properly and what you get?
In the case of Alien, if you purchase the 4K/UHD disc and redeem the digital copy through Movies Anywhere, you get a 4K version of the film in iTunes and a 1080p version in Vudu.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The simple fact of the matter is you can stream it in 4K right now using the digital code. What difference does it make if it’s only on one platform right now?

Why all the whinging?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah I don’t get this whinging either. ;^)

If you’re using vudu aren’t you also using MA?

Like I mentioned earlier the sheet that comes with the movie is pretty much 100% on where you need to redeem it to get the correct version.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Until Vudu has a 4K version and then it will upgrade.
That's assuming Vudu will automatically upgrade what is in your library, which is not always the case.

The simple fact of the matter is you can stream it in 4K right now using the digital code. What difference does it make if it’s only on one platform right now?

Why all the whinging?
You can stream in 4K only if you own an Apple TV 4K, as it is the only device that supports iTunes in 4K -- and no non-Apple products currently support iTunes at any resolution. Roku owners who rely on Vudu cannot. It's part of the fractured environment of streaming platforms and services of which Sam is complaining about.

I'm a big advocate of streaming, but it's far from a perfect implementation at the moment. Not all studios currently support Movies Anywhere, so not everything gets shared across services. Purchased TV series are even worse than films, as Movies Anywhere does not support that material at all. So when we were recently at our place in South Carolina with only a Roku for streaming, I had no access to a couple of TV series I had purchased via iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks