What's new

Digital AC Thermostat (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit
I just installed mine, and it's working great. Q: what does everyone have the "swing" temp set to on yours? Obviously you don't want alot of swing, because the temp going up in degrees is uncomfortable. Default is at 3 degrees swing to kick AC back on. Whats the lowest possible swing that doesn't constantly have the AC on or run up the bill like crazy?

It may be a trade off... Higher swing=longer AC is on, but not as frequent. Lower swing=shorter AC is on, but frequent.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
This sucks...had 3 different AC guys out to check the unit and the ducts etc...and had the energy people out to make sure the meters are running properly...hitting $700+ electricity bills...and the house is staying at around 80 degrees during the day!!! I could see the bills being that high if I were trying to keep it at like 65...but come on! Any suggestions?

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Oh sorry...I have ours set at 74, and to kick back on once it hits 78...so it never cuts back off. I thought they were similar and wouldn't start a new thread...but I also thought I included that info when I posted a reply.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Chris, a lower swing doesn't mean the AC will run more, just cycle on and off more often for a shorter amount of time.

Aside from that, I probably can't be of much help. The only things I would think of are that it isn't so much a matter of how much it costs on the bill, but how much stress it puts on the AC. I live in Colorado and don't even have AC, but the swing on my furnace is less than 1 degree. The thing I see as a main difference is that a gas furnace is mostly not an electrical appliance and I would just be concerned about a small swing wearing out the AC faster because it would be cycling on and off so often.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
In my area, a two degree swing works out well. During the day I have it set to 76 so it kicks on at 78 and then have it timed to go to 72 about 45 minutes before I usually get home. Highest electric bill so far is still under a hundred bucks a month so, for me anyway, it's cheap comfort.

Mort

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I always used to let my temp run up to 83 during the weekdays when no one was home, and then started the cooldown about 30 minutes before the first one of us was home. As far as the swing, 3 degrees seemed to work well; during the weekends it was set to run at a steady 77 all day all night. I did try a few different swing settings, but i found that if I set it too low that its seemed like the house was actually WARMER than with a larger swing. I think may have been my AC unit seemed to get a bit colder the longer it ran, and also that the thermostat was in a hallway that was in a colder part of the house.

Have you guys looked at your attic insulation or adding a vent fan in the attic? Are your houses 2+ stories? Does the garage get cold in the summer from the AC as well? Just trying to figure out what it might be.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i didn't realize you could adjust the swing value. interesting.

kyle - that's really weird to have such a high bill and the house staying at 80. something definitely ain't right. did you have the city check the meter? if three a/c guys can't find anything wrong, it shouldn't be the a/c system that's at fault. can the house get any cooler (if you try), or is 80 the lowest you can get it period?

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
We had the enrgy department come out and check the meters, they say everything's running fine. The house does cool off, down to 74, but only at around 10pm or so. Matt, It's a one story house with no vents in the garage either.

Michael Toguchi

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like I need to get myself some new Digital Thermostats. All this talk about adjusting the swing temp and setting for warmer temps during the day makes me want to play with one :)

I have 2 units for my 2 story house, with the basic thermometer hooked up to each. 77 all the time, and the units kick in frequently (especially since I live in the Phoenix area)

Chris Huber

Second Unit

Did the tech measure the temp at the vents? I assume they did and the temp is in normal operating parameters... If that is the case, then you have almost no insulation or something crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks