What's new

differences in component cables (1 Viewer)

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
is there really that much of a noticable difference between cables? im refering to monster cables n2 injected dialectric insulator cables oppose to non injected cables. can you really notice that much of a difference or even if its not a monster cable compared to some other component cable? im really curious if its just the name that sells or if its really worth those high end cables because the price range between them is a lot like the m series. please do not respond using big technical terms as im am still quite a newby but i am learning, thank you.

oh yea one more thing, ive notice that with hdmi-dvi cables some say just hdmi-dvi and others say to dvi-d, what is dvi-d? thanks

Dean_S

Second Unit
Monster Cable is decent stuff but it's very overpriced for what you get. The better component cables are made from high quality RG6 and terminated with connectors that are rated for 75ohm. A good example of this type of cable is sold by Blue Jean Cable. Here is a good site that explains some of the differences between different Canare cables and their appropriate uses is in the following link. This site is mainly a how-to for making your own cables but it's a good learning tool and will point you in the right direction.
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm

HDMI-DVI cables have an HDMI connector on one end and DVI-D on the other. A DVI-D cable is the same connector on both ends. There are single-link and dual-link DVI-D available but most current AV equipment is single-link. Dual-link still work but there is no reason to pay extra for it. Both HDMI and DVI usage completely depends on your AV equipment. For example: I own a Zenith 520 STB with a DVI output, I also own an HDTivo STB with an HDMI output...my TV has a DVI input. So to use the HDtivo with my TV I needed an HDMI-DVI cable. To use my Zenith STB I needed a single-link DVI-D cable.

Does that help???

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Often manufacturers will use terms that those less knowledgeable will perceive as being unique or cutting edge. For example I can describe something as 'is manufactured using a proprietary technique to exacting tolerances. Our blend of heat-setting, thermoplastic resin is made to a controlled molecular weight and incorporates inorganic materials for durability and superior strength'. Translated this means the stuff we sell is made by someone who won't tell us exactly how they do it because they don't want anyone else to make it the same way. By the way, I've just desribed a plastic lawn chair. Sounds high tech though, doesn't it?

N2 injection simply means they blow nitrogen through the material surrounding the copper center conductor(s). This is done by virtually everyone for many reasons some of which have to do with flexibility, being better able to control the impedance of the final product, lower capacitance, etc.

The video cable you buy has the responsibility of passing the video signal from say your DVD player to either your receiver or TV. In order to do that without noticeable degradation the following requirements are needed.
* it needs to be what's known as 75 ohms coaxial.
* it needs to be shielded.
* the center conductor needs to be copper, either stranded (far more flexible) or solid.
* the center conductor needs to be thick enough in order to not limit the bandwidth of the signal.

You'll find that RG59 type cable, which basically refers to the gauge of the center conductor, provides you with room, and I do mean room, to spare. It will allow you to pass any signal from your DVD without noticeable loss.

Monster does not do a good job of telling you much useful information regarding their cables. If you don't want to spend a lot, then ask for recommendations and I'm sure people will chime in with suggestions (triangle cables, the Dayton line over at PartsExpress, or KnuKonceptz are but a few). If you want to go custom because you need a 1.75 meter length or something, you'll find that BlueJeans, a forum sponsor, to provide a well made cable with excellent delivery times. Often appearance means something to people and if it does for you, then you should be prepared to spend accordingly. The same holds true for the connector as some like locking RCA's.

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
wow thanks guys for the replys. i bought the monster hdmi-dvi 400 cause i had heard that it was a good cable to use but being that i am a newby i am mostly familiar with a small portion of manufacturers so i can agree that i am gulible to what they have to offer, but i soon hope to change that. what i usually do is just look up reviews on what the cable has and base my decision of that.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

No problem. We like newbies.

Here are some simple facts:

- Movie studios do not use Monster
- Production studios do not use Monster
- Component cables are not all designed for HD video
- The best bang-for-the-buck HD video cables come from several small web sites that custom-build cables using studio-grade components.

Your best value is for something like a 6 ft cable for about $48. This will give you a picture that will rival the high-end Monster Z300CV cables that sell for about $200 a set. (Yes, all that price difference is retail-markup and marketing).

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks