What's new

Differences between Godfather Collection box sets? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, they are the same. There has only been one release of the complete trilogy in one set. There is a single release for part I however. If you are thinking of buying this ( everyone should have it!) I'd pick it up at best buy. I believe it is $50 to $60 there.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But different retailers shouldn't have such wildly different concepts of MSRP. I checked some others. DVD Planet says it lists for $65, whereas DVD Empire mentions a list price of $71. Barnes and Noble puts down MSRP as %$70. Sam Goody doesn't mention a list price but they're selling it for $70. FYE also doesn't mention list but offers it for $73. Wal-Mart has it at $105 MSRP along with Amazon. If you buy it from Borders online, it'll go with the Amazon price, but their store site has it listed as $67 MSRP.

So what IS the list price? Damned if I know. Looks like Paramount reduced its price and a couple of sites haven't changed it yet...

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator
Thats what was throwing me for a loop, all these different retail prices. I was worried they released a new version.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but Paramount has announced a re-release of "The Godfather Trilogy" on DVD. It will be released on March 21st, the same day as EA Game's "The Godfather: The Game" and Paramount's DVD re-release contains a sixth disc with game-related special features and a $10 mail-in rebate if you buy both the trilogy and the game.

There is some curiosity and speculation as to whether or not the packaging will be changed at all for this DVD release. I'm personally guessing that it'll be the same box set with the bonus disc shrink-wrapped in a paper sleeve but Paramount *could* be using this opportunity to release the box set in keepcases or even slimcases. Does anyone with access to Paramount's press site have any images of this "new" set?

willyTass

Supporting Actor
The current transfers for Godfather I and II are , um , in a word, horrendous. Apparently Lowry were involved in a new re-master which Paramount will release as the new High Def format , whether Toshiba's or Bluray

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Didn't Robert A. Harris say that the DVD transfers were pretty much as good as it gets and that the films looked fine for their age?

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
There seems like there's a lot of confusion. Were the current discs mastered by Lowry Digital are we still waiting for those?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I believe this is how it all went down: the first (and only) DVD transfers were done by American Zoetrope. They certainly don't look "reference quality" and Paramount announced that they would be restored by Lowry and released individually. Not only did the people that already bought the box set complain but American Zoetrope came out of the woodworks and put a stop to it, and people such as Robert A. Harris said that the transfers were fine and that there wasn't much that could be done with them in the first place. Anyways, the individual releases of the films eventually came out but they were the exact same discs from the box set, minus the bonus disc.

Anyways, here's what RAH said about it:

I think it comes down to this: some people want "The Godfather" to look like it was shot in hi-def video but the powers that be (and experts like RAH) are happy with the final DVD.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
the godfather parts I & II are the only two i have and they look fantastic. it's a 70s film. you can't expect it to look like revenge of the sith.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
The Godfather I & II do NOT look fantastic. They're very dirty, have not been cleaned up at all, and they could very much stand some clean up and restoration. I respect Robert Harris' opinion very much, but when it comes to this point, I couldn't disagree with him more. Neither, apparently, can Paramount, or there would have been no need to send the films to Lowry. Hopefully we will FINALLY see their work on these films when The Godfather is finally released in HD.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I must be missing something: how come Doctor Zhivago & Ryans daughter look so spectacular on DVD, older films than The Godfather. I know LDI did a ton of work on Zhivago.

I assume that because Godfather was such a phenomenon that a truckload of copies were struck from the original negatives.

Was Godfather shot with soft lenses?

"What if this is as good as it gets?"- Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks