What's new

Difference between Series I and II Northridge JBLs (1 Viewer)

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up a pair of JBL N26II. I really am diggin them....especially compared to the Aiwas that they are replacing. What I am wondering about is this, how much difference is there between the series I and II. I am thinking about returning the N26II and popping for some N28 series I on Ebay. I have noticed them at a fairly good value.

So, the two questions here are:
1) Is there any significant difference in series 1 and 2
2) Is it worth the hassle to step up to the 8" woofer? (I think that this question is obvious, I am just looking for others' opinions on these speakers.)

Thanks in advance.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

1) I heard both series the I and II, with the same reciever, and I didn't heard any difference at all, both were great. I read somewhere in HTF, that the difference, beside the color, is that JBL had a problem with bose about the design of the tweeter, so they change it in II series, but the sound is still the same,

2) I think the 28 are better, but it will depend on area of your room.

Well, I'm buying my NPS1 next week, I think is the best for the price.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularch

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
The best way to go in my opinion is with JBL s26's. They regularly go on ebay from Harman Kardon themselves for $80-$110. They have a pure titanium tweeter as opposed to the northridge series' titanium laminate tweeter. They also are built with a better cabinet and use brass 5 way binding posts. The woofer on them is only 6" but if you use a sub with them you won't notice a difference between the s26 and the n28 in low frequency response.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input guys. I am gonna have to go to BB and AB the S26, N26, and N28 to see what differences I can hear.

In my setup I do not currently have a sub. I plan on building a ported Shiva in the near future (as funds allow). But from what I have heard so far from the N26 they have awesome base for a bookshelf speaker.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I think I am going to try and pick up a pair of JBL S26 off Ebay for a fair price. Otherwise its off to J&R.

I really like the sound of the N26II, but if the S26 are not that much more then I think its a good move.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
... JBL had a problem with bose about the design of the tweeter, so they change it in II series, ...
FYI: Bose won the lawsuit vs. JBL FreeFlow™ port technology (Bose patent # 721) and not because of the 'design of the tweeter'.
JBL pioneered the Titanium Tweeter back in 1984 and used it originally in their Pro Theater products, next Pro Studio Monitor and eventually with their Consumer lines.
I also highly recommend the JBL S26's, "ranked the JBL S26 as the best speaker on most clips:, ... vs. a Boston Acoustics CR8, a B&W DM601. (OBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVITY By Scott Wilkinson Electronic Musician, Jul 1, 2001)
I centainly love my JBL S26 / S-Center (w/SVS 25-31PCi) HT setup!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :D
Phil

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,

The S26's I ordered from Harman Audio via Ebay should be here tomorrow. I have been checking out the S Center II and can't wait to get it. But of course I have to wait for the funds to become available. Thanks for the recommendation.

aldamon

Second Unit
"Check out the 28's at UBID=$29/NEW"

Jesus, I was just about to order some when I looked at the fine print. Ubid charges $5.99 + $.99 per POUND. If you look at the very last line, each speaker weighs 24 pounds. So tack on another $100 for a set of four sent via UPS freakin' ground.

Damn Ubid scammers...

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Down to $19 plus $24 for freight. These are $100 speakers. So at $53 or $43 they are still a steal. Try to find them anywhere for less that $170 a pair.:D

Brian Warren

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,

how difficult is it to wall mount S26's. you use a 5.1 set do you not. if so, where in your room are the surrounds placed
thanks

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
... where in your room are the surrounds placed thanks
Click this link to see my 20' x 30' overhead HT/family room layout and speaker dispersion pattern (same as my previous JBL N24's).
**NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks