Difference between Series I and II Northridge JBLs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffTodd, Jun 15, 2002.

1. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up a pair of JBL N26II. I really am diggin them....especially compared to the Aiwas that they are replacing. What I am wondering about is this, how much difference is there between the series I and II. I am thinking about returning the N26II and popping for some N28 series I on Ebay. I have noticed them at a fairly good value.

So, the two questions here are:
    1) Is there any significant difference in series 1 and 2
    2) Is it worth the hassle to step up to the 8" woofer? (I think that this question is obvious, I am just looking for others' opinions on these speakers.)

Thanks in advance.

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Jeff,

1) I heard both series the I and II, with the same reciever, and I didn't heard any difference at all, both were great. I read somewhere in HTF, that the difference, beside the color, is that JBL had a problem with bose about the design of the tweeter, so they change it in II series, but the sound is still the same,

2) I think the 28 are better, but it will depend on area of your room.

Well, I'm buying my NPS1 next week, I think is the best for the price.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularch

3. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

The best way to go in my opinion is with JBL s26's. They regularly go on ebay from Harman Kardon themselves for $80-$110. They have a pure titanium tweeter as opposed to the northridge series' titanium laminate tweeter. They also are built with a better cabinet and use brass 5 way binding posts. The woofer on them is only 6" but if you use a sub with them you won't notice a difference between the s26 and the n28 in low frequency response.

4. JeffTodd

Thanks for the input guys. I am gonna have to go to BB and AB the S26, N26, and N28 to see what differences I can hear.

In my setup I do not currently have a sub. I plan on building a ported Shiva in the near future (as funds allow). But from what I have heard so far from the N26 they have awesome base for a bookshelf speaker.

5. JeffTodd

I think I am going to try and pick up a pair of JBL S26 off Ebay for a fair price. Otherwise its off to J&R.

I really like the sound of the N26II, but if the S26 are not that much more then I think its a good move.

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Check out the 28's at UBID=$29/NEW[​IMG]

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

8. JeffTodd

Phil,

The S26's I ordered from Harman Audio via Ebay should be here tomorrow. I have been checking out the S Center II and can't wait to get it. But of course I have to wait for the funds to become available. Thanks for the recommendation.

9. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

"Check out the 28's at UBID=$29/NEW"

Jesus, I was just about to order some when I looked at the fine print. Ubid charges $5.99 + $.99 per POUND. If you look at the very last line, each speaker weighs 24 pounds. So tack on another $100 for a set of four sent via UPS freakin' ground.

Damn Ubid scammers...

10. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Down to $19 plus $24 for freight. These are $100 speakers. So at $53 or $43 they are still a steal. Try to find them anywhere for less that $170 a pair.[​IMG]

11. Brian Warren

Brian Warren Stunt Coordinator

Phil,

how difficult is it to wall mount S26's. you use a 5.1 set do you not. if so, where in your room are the surrounds placed
    thanks

12. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter