What's new

Did Smallville get any better? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Last year I started watching Smalliville from the beginning but quickly tired of it because it seemed to be copying elements from Buffy and X-Files. Subsequently I saw the show topping many critics' lists but I never gave it another look. Can any Buffy or X-Files fans say Smallville finally found its own voice? If so, maybe I will give it another chance.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Speaking as a long-time Buffy fan (since Season 2 broadcast), I'd have to say that "Smallville" got alot better once it started expanding storylines and not relying on the kryptonite villain of the week eps.
So, I'm willing to answer yes to your question, Cameron. ;)
Rafael

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I quit watching SAMLLVILLE when it seemed the plot was the same week after week. So maybe I need to give the second season a chance?

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Smallville was, in my opinion, one of the best shows to come out in recent years.

Although I am a fanboy, I did find the show to start lagging a bit with the kryptonite "villain-of-the-week" plotlines. However, all the continuing subplots that were in development, the one liners alluding to Clark/Superman's future exitance, and the development of many of the main characters (Clark, Lex, Chloe, Ma & Pa Kent, etc) more than made up for it.

The season-ending cliffhanger has got me on my seat, waiting for Season 2 to start.

I would HIGHLY recommend revisiting this show.

Moe.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Yes, the first 'half season' run relied on the 'supervillan of the week' schtick, but things got better really really quickly with the new episodes.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for the info. I had the feeling I gave up on it too early, based on the amount of praise it was receiving. And yes the Kryptonite villains were my primary complaint. It just seemed too similar to Buffy's Hellmouth concept, though much more limiting (I mean, how many mutated humans can one town have?) and used way too frequently as a plot device. I think the final straw was when I started to see the Smallville version of the Scooby Gang developing.

I thought the real promise of the show was in exploring Clark's journey and discovery of his powers and heritage. Sounds like I'll be giving the show another look this fall.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I read an interview with the producers who said they purposefully kept the show as "kryptonite monster of the week" so that people who joined the show after a few episodes wouldn't be lost and they would have a chance to build a fan base.

Imagine trying to come in on "24" after 4 episodes.

Now that they have a following they plan on incorporating more of an ongoing storyline and rely less on kryptonite monsters.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I found that season 1 of smallville was quite like season 1 of B5. It relied mainly on weekly villans while setting up the characters and future story plots among other things and ended the season with a cliffhanger. It can only get better. :)

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
The first two episodes of season two...

The first is, of course, the conclusion to the cliffhanger season one finale.

The second is... an episode called Redux in which Martha's father (who is wealthy) comes to visit, angering Jonathan. But Clark takes the opportunity to learn about some family history.
In fact, this episode was filmed as soon as they finished filming Tempest, the season one finale.

Scott McC.

Stunt Coordinator
It is one of my favorite shows, and I believe it's headed in the right direction, and Lex is a superb actor, quickly rising to the top of my favorites list

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Let me start off by saying that when I first heard about this show I was not happy. As a big fan of Superman. I was distressed to hear about the whole premise for this show. Especially, having Lex in it. I thought it would become Superman's Creek. But, I was wrong and the best part of the show is Lex and his friendship with Clark. You can see how he is struggling to be a good guy like Clark and the ruthless person like his father. And the sad part is you know who wins out. But, the journey so far has been fun. Yes, the Kryptonite villian of the week was getting tiredsome. But, they did start moving away from that. And like someone said earlier the subplots are what make the show fun.
Here is some season 2 spoilers for all interested:
-Clark gets a new power. It is probably going to be Heat vision.
and
-Someone close(ie-Lex, Lana, Chloe or Pete) find out his secret.

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Count me in as another big Smallville fan. There was a time when Fox was showing encore presentations of 24 after Dark Angel, thus keeping me happy that I could watch both 24 and Smallville. But when they stopped doing this, I had to decide between the two and Smallville ultimately won. Fortunately, 24 Season 1 will be released on DVD soon. At one point, my TiVo was full only with episodes of Smallville, 24, Alias and WWF programming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks