What's new

Did I miss something? RAM prices skyrocket (1 Viewer)

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I put together a system last August with an Epox 8K7A mobo and 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM. I got the RAM from Crucial and paid $39 for it. In November I check back at Crucial and the same stick was $29. Great I thought, by Christmas it'll be $25 and I'll get another stick. Well Christmas came and went and I never did buy the RAM. Today I check Crucial's website and the price has gone up to $86! What's goin' on? Even Newegg's Crucial price is around $80. Anyone know why the price spike and if it's expected to last.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Nahh, I don't follow the RAM trends, but it was about $36 in beginning of Novemeber'01 when I bought the same Crucial 256MB DDR ram you have... I noticed in Mid december it was riding to like $53 so yeah, I guess it's on it's way back up....

Jay

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Crucial, and other memory makers, lost a ton of money. They sold through much of their surplus and now can charge a premium for RAM again. It's a cycle I expect to become fairly regular.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I think RAM is the most underappreciated resource in modern computers. It kills me to see people with 1.4 GHz machines, running with 128 MB RAM...talk about squeezing a bowling ball through a garden hose.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
If you are running Windows 98, 98, or ME, having more than 64 MB of RAM does almost no good. These versions of Windows do not scale very well at all. It kills me to see someone buy a computer with 512 MB of RAM running Windows ME.

Win NT? Win 2000? Now there's where the RAM comes in handy!

Jason Handy

Second Unit
If you are running Windows 98, 98, or ME, having more than 64 MB of RAM does almost no good
I wholeheartedly disagree. Windows 98 runs like a dog on 64 MB of RAM, and forget about playing Wolfenstein or any of the other hi-powered games on the market. I noticed a HUGE difference going from 64 to 256 MB of RAM. Going up to 512 may not be as dramatic but I think that your cut-off of 64 MB is too low, especially since the OS hardly runs on 64 MB anyway.

I can not comment on WinME, but I heard it requires 128 MB to run properly.

Regards,

Jason

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As a former W98 and ME user, here's my opinion:

Windows 98 Second Edition

Minimum w/o pulling hair out = 64MB

Sweet Spot = 128MB - marked improvement from 64MB.

Marginal Improvement when I went up to 256MB.

Windows Millenium Edition

Minimum = 128MB

Sweet Spot = 256MB

Overkill = 384+MB

Windows 2000 (work)

Minimum = 128MB

Sweet Spot = 256MB

Noticeable difference when I went to 384MB (if RAM is cheap, go ahead)

Windows XP

I've only used it with 512MB of PC133 RAM and 256MB of RDRAM (different systems, Athlon 850 on one, P4 1.5GHz on the other). Both worked fine.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Memturbo. It lets you defrag your ram and recover it without having to restart your computer. It also keeps track of how much is being used and how much is free.

just my .02

---jay

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Jeff is correct in the 512Mb limit (NT kernel vs 386 Kernel)

Carlos has "fine-tuned" that limit perfectly for the OS's he listed!

~Rob

Chad Seymour

Stunt Coordinator
Can you use DDR ram in a system on a motherboard that isn't designed for it? I have an Abit KT7A that I was thinking about adding more Ram to, but I am also thinking that within a year, I will upgrade to a new DDR board and processor. I didn't want to buy more PC100 to dump in my current setup if I could get by with adding DDR and it work, but just not up to its potential.

Chad

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I had a 6 month dispute with a company I dealt with through Pricewatch.com. Basically they sent me a 256 MB chip of RAM, and I ended up sending it back, but was never credited for it. The company kept giving me the runaround so I initiated a dispute with my credit card company.

Well, to make a long story short, the company locked me out of my customer web account, but I was able to get in through a back door and expose the fraud. I got my money back (whew!)

What was the name of the company...damn I forget, but I ended up going with coast-to-coast memory and they were fantastic to work with.

Jason

EDIT: I remember the name of the company - Dynasty Express (dynastyexpress.com) - they were total bastards, but are now out of business, thank the lord.

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Pricewatch is OK...but I'd much rather deal with NEWEGG.com or MWAVE.com. They're usually within dollars of the no-name companies.
~Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks