What's new

Did I miss something? RAM prices skyrocket (1 Viewer)

Hugh M

Second Unit
you want to get CRUCIAL DDR or another high quality brand.

back to the point,

I heard it was going to go way up. Now I see it is true. I think that what is driving this is that Intel is now offering DDR capable motherboards. They've pretty much given up on trying to force Rambus on everyone. Supply and demand.

the other point is that they probably saw all the times we said "Gosh, $65 for 512DDR!!!", and decided they must be able to raise the price.

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Hugh: YES, "Cruical" does seem to mean something...on all the other computer forums I surf, someone is always complaining about memory leak, or some other weird problem. and of course it's usually not a name brand stick...certainly not CRUICAL
So...spend a little more at a good online vendor, and while you're there spend a little more on Crucial brand.
Just my .02 worth.
~Rob

KyleS

Screenwriter
The reason for the prices rising on RAM is that the surplus of them around the country is becoming depleted. As the surplus goes down the price goes up, when they manufacture too many then the price goes down... And so on and on.
About 2 months ago was the best time to buy chips, keep a surplus on hand then wait for the price to go back up, then sell. Just like the stock market ;)
This process will continue to happen for a long long time. The ram prices for chips that are currently out will probably never again get as cheap as what they were before they become obsolete. My advice is when the prices get to the point you are biting at the bit but you say I'll wait just a little Longer for the prices to drop a couple of dollars.. DONT WAIT and buy right then as that is usually the time when they are at or near the cheapest price they will be IMHO.
Pricewatch: Great for price comparison but a lot of the times the cheapest prices are from some of the worst dealers. Stick with Mwave, Newegg, and www.crucial.com (direct from crucial)
KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks