What's new

Dick Van Dyke Show - 2 Colorized Episodes Coming to CBS 12/11 (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I didn't scan the entire list (Basically just the bottom 20 and the top 20), but I was surprised to see 'The Ballad of the Betty Lou' and 'The Death of the Party' ranked so low. While not up there with the greatest episodes of the show, I feel like they're both above average.

And 'Long Night’s Journey Into Day' is a top 10 episode for me. Definitely not 83rd best for me.

"NOBODY knows how I feel!" :D

I just watched the "nobody knows how I feel" episode a few nights ago. :)

Always been disappointed that his episodes hadn't turned out better. I think they perhaps even realized it at the time that they were somewhat weak, since this particular episode was left wide open for a follow-up episode involving his marriage with Julie. Yet that was the end of it all and we never hear from Stacey Petrie again after that two part season 4 episode.

And the sleepwalking one that introduced Rob's brother to us a season or two earlier should've been one of the all-time great sitcom episodes. A Dick Van Dyke Show episode that involves sleepwalking sounds like a match made in heaven for a great sitcom like this. But the end result ended up merely okay rather than a classic.

His four appearances definitely were a missed opportunity. Jerry Van Dyke was a great talent and the Dick Van Dyke Show is one of television's greatest sitcoms, but the episodes in question sadly ended up among the weaker ones of the 5 season run.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Just picked up the complete series on DVD. I haven’t seen this show in decades. Looking forward to getting acquainted to the show again.

I scanned through this whole thread, looking for comments about what might be missing from the broadcasts on the complete series DVD set, and I don’t think anything is mentioned.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just picked up the complete series on DVD. I haven’t seen this show in decades. Looking forward to getting acquainted to the show again.

I scanned through this whole thread, looking for comments about what might be missing from the broadcasts on the complete series DVD set, and I don’t think anything is mentioned.

Awesome!

I have the series on blu ray but I have not finished watching them all.
I am not aware of any issues with the sets or the discs.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The Dick Van Dyke Show Revisited is not included and I am glad. It is terrible. See for yourself. It may have been produced after the DVDs were released.

What I would have liked to be included was the complete 1994 special, "The Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered " This was strictly a clip show with interviews with the surviving cast but not together. Clips from this special are included throughout the box set but not together as a complete show.

Clip from "Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered"

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is a brief comic relief reunion of the cast with some classic clips.

Dick and Mary on the Mary Tyler Moore Hour as Rob and Laura. The sound is very out of sync. Much more dated than 'The Dick Van Dyke Show"

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
The Dick Van Dyke Show Revisited is not included and I am glad. It is terrible. See for yourself. It may have been produced after the DVDs were released.

What I would have liked to be included was the complete 1994 special, "The Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered " This was strictly a clip show with interviews with the surviving cast but not together. Clips from this special are included throughout the box set but not together as a complete show.

Clip from "Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered"

“ The DVDS Remembered” was included on my Complete Series dvd set and is on my complete blu-ray set as well.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
“ The DVDS Remembered” was included on my Complete Series dvd set and is on my complete blu-ray set as well.
I have the complete blu ray set. While I have seen interviews and clips recorded for and used in
"The DVDS Remembered” I have never seen the complete show since it aired starting with Charles Kuralt entering the Petrie living room. What disc is it on?

Thanks

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I have the complete blu ray set. While I have seen interviews and clips recorded for and used in
"The DVDS Remembered” I have never seen the complete show since it aired starting with Charles Kuralt entering the Petrie living room. What disc is it on?

Thanks
I believe it’s on Season 4, disc 3.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I had been meaning to make a BD purchase of “The Dick Van Dyke Show”and its entire series. Just saw the pricing at Amazon. $170.00 for the boxed set. Seems pretty steep at this point, especially since it’s original street date was November of 2012.

As it is, $170.00 is the current price for Criterion’s boxed set of The Essential Fellini; which, for what its contents posses; feels to be the polar opposite of steep. Apples and oranges, perhaps; but I’ve just been faced with my own value system.

Meanwhile, “The Andy Griffith Show” on a Season One BD goes for $10.00; with the remaining individual seasons on DVD being priced at $10.00 and under.

Additionally, Seasons One and Two of “I Love Lucy” on BD go for, respectively, $5.50 and $29.00. And all 9 seasons in a DVD boxed set goes for $67.00.

$90.00 for 5 seasons of Rob and Laura on BD would be my top bid.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I had been meaning to make a BD purchase of “The Dick Van Dyke Show”and its entire series. Just saw the pricing at Amazon. $170.00 for the boxed set. Seems pretty steep at this point, especially since it’s original street date was November of 2012.

As it is, $170.00 is the current price for Criterion’s boxed set of The Essential Fellini; which, for what its contents posses; feels to be the polar opposite of steep. Apples and oranges, perhaps; but I’ve just been faced with my own value system.

Meanwhile, “The Andy Griffith Show” on a Season One BD goes for $10.00; with the remaining individual seasons on DVD being priced at $10.00 and under.

Additionally, Seasons One and Two of “I Love Lucy” on BD go for, respectively, $5.50 and $29.00. And all 9 seasons in a DVD boxed set goes for $67.00.

$90.00 for 5 seasons of Rob and Laura on BD would be my top bid.
Yes I thought the BluRay was too pricey, so I bought the DVD set (about $64).

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Don't care. Colourization of original B/W material is an abomination that should be consigned to the deepest depths of Hell. :angry:
And with those furnaces, everything melts all the quicker, too.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Watched the first 6 episodes. Funny stuff, and I think the picture looks really nice.

A word about the production code- interesting that the show couldn’t have a husband and wife sleeping in the same bed in their bedroom. Different times- that’s for sure.

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I get a kick out of the "Television Ratings" that appear in the upper left corner as shows start. On the very first episode, we get a note that while it's Rated All, it has foul language and drug use. Really? THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I get a kick out of the "Television Ratings" that appear in the upper left corner as shows start. On the very first episode, we get a note that while it's Rated All, it has foul language and drug use. Really? THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW?
Drug use- that’s probably all the smoking that goes on in the show. Foul language-
of course there isn’t any.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Drug use- that’s probably all the smoking that goes on in the show. Foul language-
of course there isn’t any.
Yeah, I get that strictly speaking, the smoking does fall under drug use, but that designation still seems slightly odd to me, and why not say "Foul language and/or drug use," as it would be a far more accurate descriptor?

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks