Dick Van Dyke Show - 2 Colorized Episodes Coming to CBS 12/11

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
For those who prefer their Dick Van Dyke Show in original black and white here is "October Eve", one of the episodes that will be shown on CBS.

1593702092996.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary16 and Osato

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Here is an original CBS promo for the Dick Van Dyke Show.

The Kent commercials with Dick Van Dyke cast. Plus a bonus.

Reactions: Osato and ponset

ilovenola2

Grip
Real Name
Joe Bonelli
Colorization is light years ahead of what it was only a decade ago. It may look wholly natural. Here's hoping.
On his deathbed, Orson Welles is said to have quipped, "Tell Ted Turner to keep his goddamned colorizing hands OFF my movies." I can't argue with the great Welles.

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
This is something that I think never should have happened but judge for yourself. 'the Dick Van Dyke Show Revisited. They are almost all gone now which makes the topic of this episode a little difficult.

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
In honor of Carl Reiner's legacy, CBS is rerunning on Friday, July 3, two of the colorized episodes of the series: "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth" (one of the series' truly greatest episodes) and "October Eve," in both of which Carl Reiner makes notable appearances.
"Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth" can also be seen (in B&W) on MeTV Sunday Jul 5 at 10pm ET and Decades Friday Jul 10 at 10pm ET. Decades will also show "Head of the Family" Friday Jul 10 at 9:30pm ET and the weekend binge that weekend (Noon Saturday - 7am Monday ET) will be The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Dick Van Dyke filmed a new intro to the CBS broadcast of the show saluting Carl Reiner.

Reactions: Osato

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
Me, too. I have seen them both too many times to count, and there are still moments that make me laugh out loud (Alan hits his sprained ankle on the phone and knocks it out of the cradle, grabs it up, and grrrrrrrrrrrr's into the receiver before hanging up).

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Me, too. I have seen them both too many times to count, and there are still moments that make me laugh out loud (Alan hits his sprained ankle on the phone and knocks it out of the cradle, grabs it up, and grrrrrrrrrrrr's into the receiver before hanging up).
love it!!

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Per TVline. Not bad for an almost 60 year old program.

CBS’ colorized Dick Van Dyke Show episodes, served up as a tribute to the recently passed Carl Reiner, delivered Friday’s largest audience, averaging 3.73 million viewers (along with a 0.3 demo rating).

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I think it's still a very entertaining TV sitcom, although definitely dated by the times it was made in.

I also thought the video work turned out really good; once I started watching I wasn't thinking about the colorization, I just enjoyed it.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
Per TVline. Not bad for an almost 60 year old program.

CBS’ colorized Dick Van Dyke Show episodes, served up as a tribute to the recently passed Carl Reiner, delivered Friday’s largest audience, averaging 3.73 million viewers (along with a 0.3 demo rating).

Also remember that these were reruns, so these colorized programs had already been premiered at earlier dates. To still get that kind of audience on a Friday night after having been presented in their "new" colorized form already was even more impressive!

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
A shame that the episodes were edited as programs from the early 1960's had fewer commercials. The editing was well done and if I wasn't so familiar with the episodes I may not have noticed.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
Here is something to argue about.
I am such a fan of the show that I went through the entire list in detail. I had lots of differences of opinion with the weakest entries (I didn't really like any of the episodes with Jerry Van Dyke), but there isn't much argument about the ten best. I might have slid two of them a little lower and moved up a couple of others.

Reactions: Garysb

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Yes i have my opinions about the episodes. For example I always liked the episode with Richie and the woodpecker. I laugh every time Richie comes in with the pith helmet and sunglasses.
I wouldn't have rated the Christmas episode as high on the list.
I live within a mile of Bonnie Meadow Rd . Anytime I pass I think of Rob and Laura. This is where Carl Reiner lived in the 1950's and was the fictional home of the Petries.
He lived at 48 Bonnie Meadow Rd and the Petries lived at 148 Bonnie Meadow Rd which doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Bad Old Days goes to the bottom automatically.

The Twizzle is about 60 places too high.
No argument about either of these opinions. If I'm going to binge from the Blu-ray set, I always skip "The Bad Old Days." And I love Jerry Lanning, but his episode is an undoubtedly weak one for the series. I can easily see why the cast wasn't that keen on it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adimax24