What's new

Dick Van Dyke Show - 2 Colorized Episodes Coming to CBS 12/11 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My second all-time favorite comedy series (Mary's sitcom ranks first with me), and I loved these episodes in color. "October Eve" especially has always been a favorite.

My gosh, colorization has come eons from the old days! I suspect those who don't know any better might think this was the way the show was actually filmed. I wouldn't take anything for my Blu-ray complete series set, but it's certainly enjoyable for me to watch these episodes occasionally in a different, eh, light.

Oh, and great touch using the old 1960s CBS "In Color" logo at the beginning of the special.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been watching Bewitched with my wife lately (both of us had seen some episodes when we were kids but not the entire series), since we had already gone through I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke. We're now up to the color episodes of Bewitched. It was kinda interesting going from colorized Lucy to colorized DVD to actually-shot-in-color Bewitched. It really seemed like colorization people were trying to get close to the style of color used on the early color programs, rather that coloring it to today's style of color usage.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
We watched Lucy and Dick van dyke last night too!
We loved watching these.

Both shows looked great in hd!
We own dick van dyke on blu ray. Lucy we have seasons 1 &2 on DVD.

The lucy broadcast made me want to invest in the blu ray sets. The mastering is really good.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
"The Fashion Show" was a delightful addition to the numerous colorized I Love Lucy shows. In a few more years, the entire Hollywood arc is going to have been colorized and Paramount can sell it as a separate item.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really hope so! I think a BD set with the different colorized episodes would actually be a neat item for them to sell. I would certainly pick it up. I'd rebuy the entire series in HD if they'd let us.

The reason Dick Van Dyke was successful on BD and Lucy wasn't is because one could buy the entire DVD show for $50, and a single season of Lucy was about $100.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I really hope so! I think a BD set with the different colorized episodes would actually be a neat item for them to sell. I would certainly pick it up. I'd rebuy the entire series in HD if they'd let us.

The reason Dick Van Dyke was successful on BD and Lucy wasn't is because one could buy the entire DVD show for $50, and a single season of Lucy was about $100.
Absolutely. CBS/Paramount priced themselves out of success on Lucy, Andy, and The Honeymooners.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I did the Honeymooners at full price - it's one of my all time favorites and the complete series so I but that bullet. I have Season 1 of Lucy but not S2. My wife and I watched S1 and moved on to the DVDs because we didn't want to keep waiting to see the rest of it, and by the time S2 came out, we had already finished watching the show. I'll grab it cheap one of these days but it's not a priority.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
CBS didn't send Season Two for me to review, so I never got around to buying it either (and it contains quite a few classic episodes that are among my favorites). The DVDs likewise suffice for me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I liked the S1 "night of broadcast" versions but my wife wasn't a fan. She (not unreasonably) made the point that we bought the disc to not watch commercials. I love them but since we usually watch together...the NOB versions don't have as much practical use to me as I had hoped.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I picked up the Lucy seasons on Blu "used" at a local shop...or else I wouldn't have them.

I don't have any of the other seasons on DVD.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Agreed! I would buy lucy if it was more reasonable. Color would be great too.

We bought the dick van dyke show on blu ray at a great price several years ago.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just saw a tweet that said Rose Marie has passed away.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In honor of Carl Reiner's legacy, CBS is rerunning on Friday, July 3, two of the colorized episodes of the series: "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth" (one of the series' truly greatest episodes) and "October Eve," in both of which Carl Reiner makes notable appearances.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
In honor of Carl Reiner's legacy, CBS is rerunning on Friday, July 3, two of the colorized episodes of the series: "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth" (one of the series' truly greatest episodes) and "October Eve," in both of which Carl Reiner makes notable appearances.

thank you!!
We will be watching!

mill have to plug my antenna in! With no baseball it’s been disconnected for months!!!

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
When the show's reruns aired on CBS daytime they used this opening for all episodes. There is no announcer .
That opening got "stuck" on one of the episodes in the original syndication package. I forget what episode it was but it was one of the flashback episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks