What's new

Dick Schapp dead at 67. :o( (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dick Schapp died today at age 67 from complications arising from hip-replacement surgery. What a sad day. I'm sure I speak for many sports fans in saying that he will be missed. :frowning:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
This is very sad news. He was one of the most articulate and insightful sports commentators I've ever heard.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I grew up in the NYC metro area reading, watching, and listening to Schaap. I also enjoyed his Sports Reporters show on ESPN. He will be missed!

Crawdaddy

PatrickM

Screenwriter
That is so sad to hear. He was one helluva sportscaster and seemed like one of the good guys.

I can't believe you can die from complications due to hip surgery these days but I guess surgery is surgery.

Patrick

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, this is sudden and tragic news! I respected him when I heard his opinions and broadcasts. He will be missed.

Damn, and Chick Hearn had heart valve replacement. Wow, all my fave announcers are having problems!

Unfortunately I'll probably have to listen to Dick Vitale for years on end, because he'll live for as long as Kryzewzewski (sp) coaches...

Jason P

Stunt Coordinator
Very sad news.

I loved watching Schapp on Sports Reporters. I wonder if he and Bobby Knight were able to patch things up before his passing. After Jeremy's infamous interview, Dick and Bobby's friendship was somewhat severed. Hope they had a chance to mend it.

At any rate, Dick Schapp was one of the greats and will certainly be missed in the sports community.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Wow !!! I'm very saddened by this. Because of Mr Schapp, "The Sports Reporters" was the only show in my entire life I set my alarm clock to wake up and see. It comes on at 0730 on Sunday.

Gonna miss you Mr Schapp.

R.I.P.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Another Sports Reporters regular here. This is indeed very sad and unexpected news. :frowning:

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Many years ago, I attended a taping of The Merv Griffin Show when he had his CBS late night show and Schapp was a panelist along with Joe Namath and Muhamed Ali. After the show..Namath could not get into his limo fast enough..but Ali stayed and played and talked with EVERY kid outside the theater! To this day..I have tremendous respect for Ali for that. Anyhow..Schapp was talking to my mom and she was telling how disappointed I was at Namath's lightspeed departure. He took my address and a week later there was a personalized signed pic of Namath in my mailbox.

When I worked for ABC briefly I had hoped to run into Schapp and tell him how much that meant to a 14 year old kid. I regret I never had that opportunity. Rest in Peace Dick.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
That was a great story, Scooter. It appears that all of the nice things we are hearing about the man were very true.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scooter, that is a very nice story. I've never heard anything bad about Dick Schaap. Class act all the way.

RicP

Screenwriter
:frowning: This is so sad.
I loved Mr Schapp's work and will miss him terribly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks