Dick Schapp dead at 67. :o(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Dec 21, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dick Schapp died today at age 67 from complications arising from hip-replacement surgery. What a sad day. I'm sure I speak for many sports fans in saying that he will be missed. [​IMG]

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

This is very sad news. He was one of the most articulate and insightful sports commentators I've ever heard.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I grew up in the NYC metro area reading, watching, and listening to Schaap. I also enjoyed his Sports Reporters show on ESPN. He will be missed!

Crawdaddy

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

That is so sad to hear. He was one helluva sportscaster and seemed like one of the good guys.

I can't believe you can die from complications due to hip surgery these days but I guess surgery is surgery.

Patrick

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Wow, this is sudden and tragic news! I respected him when I heard his opinions and broadcasts. He will be missed.

Damn, and Chick Hearn had heart valve replacement. Wow, all my fave announcers are having problems!

Unfortunately I'll probably have to listen to Dick Vitale for years on end, because he'll live for as long as Kryzewzewski (sp) coaches...

6. Jason P

Jason P Stunt Coordinator

Very sad news.

I loved watching Schapp on Sports Reporters. I wonder if he and Bobby Knight were able to patch things up before his passing. After Jeremy's infamous interview, Dick and Bobby's friendship was somewhat severed. Hope they had a chance to mend it.

At any rate, Dick Schapp was one of the greats and will certainly be missed in the sports community.

7. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Wow !!! I'm very saddened by this. Because of Mr Schapp, "The Sports Reporters" was the only show in my entire life I set my alarm clock to wake up and see. It comes on at 0730 on Sunday.

Gonna miss you Mr Schapp.

R.I.P.

8. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Another Sports Reporters regular here. This is indeed very sad and unexpected news. [​IMG]

9. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Many years ago, I attended a taping of The Merv Griffin Show when he had his CBS late night show and Schapp was a panelist along with Joe Namath and Muhamed Ali. After the show..Namath could not get into his limo fast enough..but Ali stayed and played and talked with EVERY kid outside the theater! To this day..I have tremendous respect for Ali for that. Anyhow..Schapp was talking to my mom and she was telling how disappointed I was at Namath's lightspeed departure. He took my address and a week later there was a personalized signed pic of Namath in my mailbox.

When I worked for ABC briefly I had hoped to run into Schapp and tell him how much that meant to a 14 year old kid. I regret I never had that opportunity. Rest in Peace Dick.

10. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

That was a great story, Scooter. It appears that all of the nice things we are hearing about the man were very true.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scooter, that is a very nice story. I've never heard anything bad about Dick Schaap. Class act all the way.

12. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

[​IMG] This is so sad.
    I loved Mr Schapp's work and will miss him terribly.