What's new

Design my new mains! and My new TOYs!!! (1 Viewer)

Stephen Matthew

Stunt Coordinator
well.. the bug bit me today... picked up a HK Avr 525 today... killer receiver... 7.1 dts, etc etc etc .. tested out at about 113wrms/ch,rated at 70

sooo.. i guess now ill have to replace my mains.. right now ive got a nice center channel i made with some vifa mids and a vifa tweet in a MTM setup .... thinking about potentially making another one and using them as a pair fo mains or perhaps rears... dunno.. shoot now i need side surrounds...

well my mains suck balls.. some 30dollar retail technics speakers... they suck badly... sooo.. im looking to do a nice 4 ohm setup, nothing too pricy, but a nice natural laid back sound that will be capable of getting loud and working well with frequent 2ch stereo use for music played loud...

also.. picked up a killer polk csi30 center for 49 bux.... retail 250... new
listening to it now, sounds pretty good though not as efficient as the vifa center

btw... oh and the 525... well online it goes for between 650 and 750 .. ummm.. i wont even say what i paid... ill just say the only reason i still work at HHGregg installing .. about 5 hours/wk.... the employee discontinued item pricing... ive bought about 2500 in stuff in the past month and paid about 500 for it..... what i paid for the avr525 would make you sick...

so help me put this receiver to use! ive suffered with bad home audio sound for far too long...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please note this advisory posted at the top of the Basics-area main threadlisting page:

Which means that if you're seeking specific advice on which speakers to buy, you need to post your query here in the Speakers/Subwoofers area.

The Basics section is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level.

Thanks, and good luck on your search.

Stephen Matthew

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the move, sorry, there are just so many forums on this site..

Yeah i guess im wondering what people around here reccommend for some drivers themselves that will get loud but still keep clarity. The center i have is some cheapo vifa tc mids and mg tweet, but it does a helluva job considering the price and i guess id like something that will match up well with that but get louder.

thanks

Stephen Matthew

Stunt Coordinator
honestly as low as possible... just looking for drivers, cabinet work ill do myself... the vifas i mentioned i think cost a total of about 75 bux....

I was wondering about the tang band 3" full range drivers at www.creativesound.ca , ive heard a pair of them and while they were lagging in output, the sq was quite nice... wondering if an array of say 4 might be able to do what id like? of course any other ideas are welcome also..

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If you're looking to make your own speakers (I take it that you've got cabinetry skills and are going to provide those yourself) then you ought to make a post over in the DIY area. However, you really need to come up with a tangible budget and not something like 'cheap as possible'. Further, simply buying inexepensive or for that matter expensive drivers and putting them inside whatever box you think is right, is a sure recipe for making a crappy sounding and performing speaker as well as wasting your time and money. Perhaps you already understand that, but I didn't get the impression that you had an understanding about the signficance of the parameters that define a speaker. Also I wouldn't be so quick to shoot for a final speaker that has a nominal impedance of 4 ohms.

Spend some time with the guys over at DIY. They're a wonderfully helpful bunch of individuals and if you're patient, ask good questions, you'll get good and thoughtful answers that respect and meet your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks