What's new

Denver, Seattle or San Fransico? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I know this was not mentioned in the original post, but I want to mention that SF has a very vibrant cultural scene. For example, since this is the HTF, it's hard to get a better selection of films than in SF. I don't know if that's the case in Denver or Seattle, but I'm guessing that at most, they equal to SF, and probably lag behind a bit.

I do concur with the cost issue, as the Bay Area is very expensive living wise.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Of course, those of us out here think that when the next "big one" hits everything east of Nevada is going to fall into the Atlantic Ocean! Speaking of which, we just had a 5.6 Monday night in the East San Jose hills so maybe I shouldn't be joking about this stuff yet :eek: .

Allen W

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend that is in the wine business that travels nationally. He moved his business and family from San Francisco back to Denver so he could spend more time with them. He says it is pretty easy for him to make 10AM meetings in Napa flying out of the Denver airport. It is also easier on him making east coast trips.

I have been to all three cities and like all three but SF is really expensive. I am a mountain guy over beaches so it would be an easy choice for me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And don't forget the SuperVolcano. Somewhere near Jackson Wyo, So Denver is toast.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Where I live I'm 20 minutes from Puget Sound and 30 minutes from the closest ski lifts. Of course the real ocean beaches are at least two hours away and the quality of the snow is pretty iffy. Plus the thought of having to fly out of SeaTac on a regular basis sure isn't all that appealing.

I really like this area but if I was going to be flying a lot I would probably be going with Denver.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Not enough direct flights especially if you're heading east. If you'll be staying pretty much on the West Coast it isn't too bad. The biggest problem is that they're very inefficient so if there's the slightest hiccup you'll find yourself in trouble. They were the worst airport to get through a few summers ago when the no liquids rule first went into effect. I liken flying from Seattle to driving in Seattle -- it's usually fine but the slightest deviation from the norm will cause all kinds of havoc.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Seattle is within easy lava distance of Mt. Rainier which is probably much more likely to erupt than the Yellowstone caldera.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Maybe Jeremy should re-phrase the question to:

"Where in the USA can I live that probably won't be destroyed by a major disaster?" ;)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
As someone who is leaving the Bay area after 2 and a 1/2 years and heading back to NYC, all I can say is it's a bit dull. Maybe not SF proper but most of the east bay ESPECIALLY Berkeley where we live? ZZZZzzzzz...... (Unless you're a CAL student)
That plus the fact that the Hayward fault is indeed locked and loaded and due for a truly major quake anytime now...

:)

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
North Dakota here I come!

Looking at that map you would think that Buffalo would be a safe place. I guess snow fall amounts taller than your house don't count as natural disasters.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
yeah, maybe they should indicate lake-effect snow regions....

Of course, you can go crazy with stuff like acid rain, ozone, etc...

Just paint the entire map black and be done with it!

Jay

Marianne

Supporting Actor
The map doesn't indicate regions with high wildfire or flooding potential.

Where I live it's hurricanes, tornados and wildfires!

...... and poisonous animals!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well it was put together by a COC of Washington county in PA....isn't that where the Johnstown flood(s) took place? Maybe the COC wanted to gloss over some embarrasing facts. :laugh:

Still it's a handy map to show what regions have what potential disasters. All they need to add now is flooding, wildfires, poisonous animals, and potential Al'Qaeda nuclear testing sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks