What's new

Denon's Surround A/B Speaker Switching (1 Viewer)

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
There's an article in the new S&V named "Poles Apart".

Basically it compares dipole and monopole surround speakers using movies and music. While the writer didn't find one type superior to the other for all sources. He did prefer certain types with certain sources. He concluded that movies tend to sound better over dipoles, some music sounds better with dipoles and some music sounds better with monopole. He goes on to say "Ideally, you'd have a set of monopoles and a set of dipoles, each positioned optimally, and a receiver that lets you switch betweem them".

Denon receivers are the only ones I know of with this capability. I wonder if others will follow?

geo

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Ideally, you'd have a set of monopoles and a set of dipoles, each positioned optimally, and a receiver that lets you switch betweem them
Geo,
That's exactly what I have, with two sets of M&K 150SS surround speakers (one pair set as dipoles - on the sides, and the other pair set as direct firing, in the rear) coupled to my Denon 5700 receiver.
And, to make a comment, even though what was said is basically true, I find that I use the "A" setting (side speakers in dipole mode) much more than the rear direct firing. In fact, when I move up to 6.1 and 7.1 shortly, I intend to use the rear channels for the new channels. The nice thing is that the speakers are already there and wired, and the M&K's give me the flexibility to change whether they are dipoles, or monopoles, or a little bit of each. Very flexible.
A lot of this can be seen on my HT web site.
Hope this helps.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

I agree that the M&K's are very flexible. I also use the SS150's as my side surrounds. How will you use yours for the back surrounds, tripole, dipole or ?

Will you stick with Denon when you move to 6.1,7.1?

geo

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Will you stick with Denon when you move to 6.1,7.1?
I've already started my "migration" towards separates with the acquisition of three Marantz MA700 Monoblocks to amplify the front soundstage. My next move will be a pre/pro (I'm hoping the Outlaw 950 will do the job or else I'll look elsewhere). For a while I'll use the Denon 5700's 170W/channel amps (5 available) to power the surrounds. However, eventually (for space considerations and overall sound quality) I'll get rid of the Denon and get more monoblocks or an integrated amplifier from one of the vendors to amplify the back and side channels. One decision that I've made and will stick with is not to invest in another receiver. I've already got separate amps for L/C/R and there's no sense in spending money on something you don't need.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Robert, you know you have to go with monoblocks all around!! How cool would that be to have *7* monoblock amps!!!
Hmm, now if only the M&K's were bi-ampable... :D

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
you know you have to go with monoblocks all around!!
I haven't totally dismissed that idea. Obviously, I wouldn't save a lot of shelf space by replacing the 5700 with 4 or more additional monoblocks, but it might otherwise be a tempting (and extremely flexible) way to go. I'd probably have to use MA6100's though since both my MA700's and the MA500's are discontinued products. I understand that with 6100's footprint is similar in size to the MA500 so I can fit 5 of them on a shelf.

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. The pre/pre comes first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks