What's new

Denon vs Marantz vs Sony (1 Viewer)

David_Merrow

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I currently have a Kenwood 509 and was wanting to upgrade. Which one of these do you think would be the best for 70% 2 channel music and 30% 5.1 movie:
Denon 3801 and 3802
Sony STR-DA3ES and STR-DA5ES
Marantz SR7200
I will be using the internal power for probably a year and then hopefully get at least a three channel amp for the front and center speakers.
Also can you give me some of the differences between the two sony and denon models.

thanks
David

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think all of them sound fine, but for 2 ch music, Marantz is the way to go, IMO. No question, but it also depends on what speakers you have and what your personal listening preference is. I like the warm, laid back sound of Marantz, and it pairs well with my Paradigm Mini Monitors.
You can read all the differences between the Denons and the Sonys at www.crutchfield.com They carry both.

David_Merrow

Stunt Coordinator
Right now I have JBL s38, scenter, and N24 for the speakers. But I plan on upgrading in the future.
I seen a referbished marantz sr8200 in another thread for $999. Does anybody have any experience with referbished products from marantz? Would that be a quality product?
thanks
David

David. How's it going? Is Michigan/Lear holding up without me???
I'm looking at buying a new receiver too, and I've looked at these three brands. Right now I'm leaning towards a 3802 due to its 7.1 sound and the fact its the recommended receiver (for this price) at my local HiFi store Progressive Audio
Did you ever build your sono-sub? Drop me a PM or email sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks