What's new

Denon DVD 9000 Who has one? (1 Viewer)

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious as to who has one and how they like it.

Does it's video processor really improve the image and how does it sound?

I am in the market for a new high-end DVD player and the 9000 is at the top of my list.

Phil_DC

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I have one that has had the recent firmware upgrade. It will be replacing the Panasonic RP-91 in my front projector system. The picture is smooth and filmlike...and the audio section is outstanding.

Rich H

Second Unit
Michael,

Can you compare the 9000 picture to the RP-91? Is it sharper? More detailed? Better color?

I have the RP-91, but occaisionally dream about what I might get from the big bucks DVD players.

Rich H.

Donnie Seals

Agent
I was curious what the difference was between the DVD-9000, DVD-1600 and the DVD-900? I know the first two have DVD-Audio, but all three have progressive scan...what else more do you need?

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
Donnie,

Why buy a Jaguar XK when you can buy a Chevy Metro? Both get you from A to B.

Really, though, the difference is engineering and build quality. Also, if you don't have the proper viewing equipment, you will not see a difference, although they might be very apparent to others.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
As one who will likely be purchasing either a large RPTV or FP system in the coming months and who also puts a priority on music, I am interested in both the video and audio differences between the 9000 and 3800. The Marantz 8300 will also be on my short list.

Doug

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I just read a magazine review of the Denon 9000, and while basically it was a good review of it, especially in the audio department. The reviewer apparently really likes the audio output, whether via CD or DVD-A, saying that while its no match to a dedicated CD/DVD-A player of its price, its comparable to those in the $1000-2000 range, which is quite an achievement, considering its a CD/DVD-V/DVD-A player all rolled into one.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Sihan,

Where did you see the review?

Phil_DC,

I posted my impressions over at the AVS Forum. Excellent video, excellent but overly bright audio.

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
Actually some German reviews have rated the DVD A1 alias 9000 the best DVD-A player ever. the CD-Audio can directly compare to a CD-only player for the same money. Picture is on a level with Tag MacLaren.
So what do you want more...?

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Robert, to be honest I can't remember. It was a UK magazine, and it wasn't What Hifi, that much I know. I was just at the bookstore browsing around the magazine section. Could be anything else...Hifi News? Hifi Choice? Hifi whatchamacallit? I really can't remember...

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I think the review being mentioned by Sihan is in the August/September issue of The Absolute Sound. It is being compared to the $2599 Arcam FMJ DV27. The dedicated audio player was judged better in many respects. Just to be compared to a high-end piece like the Arcam says a lot to me.
You can find more reviews of the Denon DVD-9000 or the DVD-A1 here and here.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Michael, nope, I didn't read it in The Absolute Sound, but you've got me curious. Is there another review of it there? I guess I gotta head down to the bookstores again :)
Also, I wouldn't put much weight on the T3 review, they're more of a lifestyle/techie magazine catering to a much much broader audience than pure hifi/HT/audiophile magazines to. They also seem to take design and style more into consideration rather than just the performance and quality.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Oliver,

Regarding the 9000's picture, you said "Picture is on a level with Tag MacLaren."

I assume you meant this as a compliment to the 9000?

Which TAG MacLaren? Do you realize that up until just recently many, many TAG MacLaren DVD players utilized the all-in-one-DVD-player-on-a-chip IC from Mediamatics? This same IC is still used today on dozens of DVD players costing all the way down to $200 and less!

The chip uses very basic simple temporal deinterlacing for progressive output, so it's progressive output was below quality to that of the DVDO and Faroudja deinterlacer chips found in so many players today.

I suspect that progressive output was not as important in the European market as in other areas, however.

Of course the latest TAG Maclaren's and the 9000 both use DVDO (Silicon Image Si503 or Si504) deinterlacing IC's, which product superb deinterlaced images.

(As an aside, the Mediamatics chip did provide unmatched scaling capabilities - horizontal and vertical at the pixel level. TAG refused to make use of this capability in their players when utilizing this chip. I took issue on this "lost opportunity in their players' design" with TAG's President through some personal correspondence.)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
The chip uses very basic simple temporal deinterlacing for progressive output, so it's progressive output was below quality to that of the DVDO and Faroudja deinterlacer chips found in so many players today.
You are aware that this only applies to video-based material. When in film mode, the mediamatics chip is on par with any of the others mentioned.

-Lyle J.P.

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
Do you realize that up until just recently many, many TAG MacLaren DVD players utilized the all-in-one-DVD-player-on-a-chip IC from Mediamatics? This same IC is still used today on dozens of DVD players costing all the way down to $200 and less!
Actually the re is only one, or lets say 2 Tag MacLaren.
I can only tell that the best ever tested in German Magazines has been the Proceed followed by Tag. Denon 9000 is on part with Tag.
I do not know which chips are used in the Tag, and I am not even interested. You are making the same mistake as 99% of the people here are doing. As an engineer I tell you this: It is not that much interesting what chip you are using, the trick is to make the best of it. And believe me,. one company can, and others cannot.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Oliver,

I am an engineer and have been studying DVD players for 2.5 years and am now ready to buy because OEM's (combined with IC availability) are finally putting out players that do adaptive deinterlacing in the digital domain well.

On poorly flagged DVD disc's with only film material on them the Mediamatics' simple deinterlacing will fall on it's face compared to the Silicon Image and Faroudja adaptive solutions, so I've stayed away from considering Mediamatics' solutions in players (even though the company I work for owns Mediamatics).

Of course the video DAC used, proper use of oversampling and the resultant possible sharp out-of-video-band noise filtering, proper shaping (i.e. very flat) of the video analog channel bandwidth curve, and power supply design/distribution are important and the TAG may be doing this well in their player. i.e. Are the TAG video DAC's at least 12-bit and at least 108MHz?

I would much rather have great video design combined with the Si504, or FLI2200, or upcoming FLI2300 series adaptive deinterlacing solutions than great video design combined with simple temporal deinterlacing. The Ayre D-1, Camelot, Denon 9000, EAD 8000 Pro, and Krell STANDARD all provide this superb combination.

TAG cannot be excused, however, for not turning on the superb, world-class, x/y adjustable scaling already built into the Mediamatics IC - since they did use this IC in the first place. I believe the latest TAG player, or an option of it, does finally employ the Silicon Image adaptive deinterlacer though.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
phil -
check out the latest issue of soundandvision (oct 02).
dave ranada almost gushes over this thing.
"The DVD-9000 is simply the finest DVD-Audio/Video player I've reviewed"
"...better than 19-bit performance from the D/A conversion circuitry - an extremely rare achievement."
"The DVD-9000 delivered state-of-the-art DVD-Video reproduction."
heck, for 3500 it better. of course i'm just jealous that i can't afford one. :D

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Ted,

Now ........ if Denon can just get rid of the Y/C Delay that is present in the latest 9000's which are using the Q Revision of the ESS decoder in order to get rid of the chroma upsampling error present in the initial 9000's released. It looks like getting rid of the chroma error introduced the Y/C delay ..... but I'm sure Denon will fix the delay. It seems like Quality Control cannot be bought at any price ...... glad I'm not rich, as it would be ultra frustrating.

I'm curious as to how much better the 9000's video is than a previous world standard - the $4K to $5K Camelot Roundtable??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks