What's new
World Wide Stereo

Denon DHT391XP Reviews (1 Viewer)

crazylad

Auditioning
Real Name
Kannan K
Denon DHT391XP is the entry level HTIB from Denon. I am inclined to buy this HTIB for the following reasons:

(i) It is Denon
(ii) Wooden speakers (all the 5 channels + subwoofer). Not all the entry level seem to have 'all' wooden speakers
(iii) 4 HDMI inputs and 1 pass-through output
(iv) Ample power output (650 W) required for my apartment living room.

The price seems to be higher than the entry levels in ONKYO or Yamaha. But, with some coupons/deals, the difference reduces dramatically (Frys had it priced at 299 until last week and online price starts at 365 including tax and shipping).

I'm wondering if there is an another brand/model that has same/better features for this price range.

Also, if anyone currently owns a Denon DHT391XP, I would appreciate their feedback about the product.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If all of your sources are HDMI, I don't see any compelling reason why this wouldn't suffice.

It is a little scarce in the number of inputs, and won't convert the composite video inputs to HDMI (there are no component inputs,either), but as long as you stick with HDMI for everything you'll be fine.

crazylad

Auditioning
Real Name
Kannan K
Jason, thank you for your response. Do you have brand/model that has the features you have indicated?

rr206

Auditioning
Real Name
Sanjay Motwani
Hi...does this Denon - DHT391 XP also carry audio through the HDMI? I have been looking for an entry level home theater buy was surprised to know that many entry level Onkyo models (3300, 5300, 6300) dont carry audio through HDMI. Did you buy this Denon - any initial reviews?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Sanjay,

You've been misinformed on the Onkyo models listed.

All of those systems are HDMI 1.4 and are fully capable of processing lossless audio from Blu-Ray via HDMI. Really, any system that is HDMI 1.4 has this capability (including the Denon DHT391). It was only the earlier HDMI 1.3 systems that you had to be careful were "repeater" and not "passthrough".

The Denon systems seems pretty nice, but as I mentioned in my previous post, it's biggest drawback is that it ONLY supports HDMI devices, so if you have a Wii or older DVD player that's not HDMI, you won't be able to connect it to the Denon system.

rr206

Auditioning
Real Name
Sanjay Motwani
Many thanks, Jason.

I have following HDMI compliant devices - cable box, blu-ray, Media Center PC. Then I have a component video compliant Wii. My understanding was that the Onkyo models (3300, 5300, 6330) do not carry audio and need a digital audio or regular audio cable in addition. If thats not the case, my needs should suffice even with a 3300! Any thoughts?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
In your case, the Wii (being component video, not HDMI) is the one component that complicates things for you a bit, more on that later...

All of your HDMI source devices (with the possible exception of your PC) are capable of outputting both audio and video over a single HDMI cable. All the Onkyo systems listed (the 3300, 5300, and 6300) are capable of receiving both audio and video from HDMI devices. In that regard, all three systems will suffice for your HDMI devices. You will need one HMDI cable for your Blu-Ray, one for your cable box, and one for your PC.

The Wii, on the other hand, is only capable of outputting video via component video connections (an analog format, opposed to the purely digital HDMI).

The Onkyo 3300 and 5300 systems do not upconvert component video signals for output via HDMI. This feature (analog to digital upconversion) is only available on the Onkyo 6300 system.

The benefit of this feature is that it allows you to connect ALL your devices to the receiver, and then run a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. You keep your TV set on the same input (HDMI) and do all your switching using the receiver. This is a convenience feature that many people find worthwhile.

If you were to get the 3300 or 5300 system (or the Denon), you would most likely run the component video from the Wii directly to your TV. This would require you to change inputs on the TV for Wii use.

Regardless of which system you go with, remember that the Wii's component cables carry only the video signal. You will need to run separate red/white stereo audio cables for the Wii audio. This should be run straight to the receiver, even if your video goes to the TV.

So, to sum up the connections:
1) Blu-Ray --> Receiver: HDMI (audio + video)
2) Cable box --> Receiver: HDMI (audio + video)
3) PC --> Receiver: HDMI (may need separate audio cable depending on your computer hardware)
4) Wii --> Television: component video cables (video)
5) Wii --> Receiver: Red/White RCA (audio)
6) Receiver --> Television: HDMI

rr206

Auditioning
Real Name
Sanjay Motwani
Excellent, many-many thanks. I am currently able to connect my PC to the TV through an HDMI and the audio output of TV goes into my old home theater through a digital audio cable. Again, very informative & helpful advice. I will certainly prefer Onkyo over Denon. Thank you.

hedude100

Auditioning
Real Name
Sheetz Store
I would definitely get the Denon. It offers better feature than Onkyo HT-S3300. It has powered subwoofer, individual amplifier circuit for each 5 channels, and lower THD.

zekecanada

Auditioning
Real Name
rob
his is not true, it has a 3 RCA inputs for Audio devices in rear(1 in front, 4 total), it has two RCA inputs for Video devices, you can out the video HDMI or through SVideo or RCA, I own it,

tonitonito

Auditioning
Real Name
toni
por favor alguien sabria explicarme como se configura el home cinema denon dht 319xp tengo todo el cableado conectado co conecto a la television y no hay manera de que se escuche. necesito ayuda para configurarlo, paso a paso. gracias

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks