What's new
World Wide Stereo

Denon avrs are top notch. (2 Viewers)

Deanmad

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Was always a Yamaha guy but switched to Denon two years ago and I am glad I did. The yamaha I purchased was awful and support was even worse. I now own 3 different Denon avrs and all have great video and audio. The HEOS has also been outstanding. Only problem is the units are imax enhanced and their has only been 10 imax enhanced disc for sale in the last 2 years. I have all ten disc and imax enhanced projectors and the improvement in both audio and video are significant from regular 4K movies. I don’t know if COVID is the problem or not but Sony and dts said they would produce hundreds of imax enhanced movies last year. Come on guys where are they? Also please give us concerts in Dolby atmos this has been the biggest achievement in audio in the last 25 years. If you think 5.1 concerts sound good you will be blown away if you heard the same concert in Dolby atmos it is a whole different animal. Again if COVID is not the reason for not advancing our technology then let’s get with it guys I’m 71 now and don’t have that many years left. Give me a chance to enjoy my hobby before I make my exit.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

rajbcpa1

Auditioning
Real Name
jbldriver
....well i loved denon too ... until i got my first one home for a month and it went dead...

over the years, i have had several [10?] and all went south.. ...the last new denon i bought was DEAD straight from the shiny new box...

they sound great.... but they suk...

...have had seven or eight new YAMAHAS recently [last 4 years]. ...my only beef is no paper manual [200 pages], [ii] yampoa?? auto sound level adjuster is GARBAGE, [iii] cannot connect musiccast or controller apps, [iv] lots of junk settings for the sound of specific music halls and such that is useless...

...my new DENON 11.2 pre-amplifier must be "hooked up" to a TV BEFORE it can recognize anything music or video pass [cd, cable box, streamer box, exc]. i've owned it 4 six months and cannot tell if it works or not.

biggest and best PIONEER, was re-gifted because i did not like the power amplifier section [not stage "a" a/b, butstage d???

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I find that entire post nearly impossible to believe.

Besides, Denon doesn't even make surround preamps, and back when they did, they never had an 11.2 channel model.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I find that entire post nearly impossible to believe.

Besides, Denon doesn't even make surround preamps, and back when they did, they never had an 11.2 channel model.
As do I since that means he bought a new Yamaha receiver about every 6 months.

For the record, after a 20+ year stint with a Yamaha RX-V995, I upgraded to a Denon S750H receiver last winter and it’s the best receiver I’ve ever owned.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
There was Denon of yesteryear circa 2004 to 2010Made in Japan from the old days . Preamp processors and multichannel amps and receivers with real class AB internal amps.they are still the king if you don’t need Atmos

now only their flagship range is made in Japan and their receivers don’t have the balls they used to have . Too many channels trying to get crammed into 1 tiny chassis

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
now only their flagship range is made in Japan and their receivers don’t have the balls they used to have . Too many channels trying to get crammed into 1 tiny chassis

I've got 4-5 older 2000 and 3000 series Denons that I've outgrown if anyone wants to come pick em up in central MD. I will give you the remotes and any docs I have plus make you the best espresso you've ever had (assuming you aren't @Carlo Medina ) =)

willyTass

Supporting Actor
eg Denon 5805

real power supplies . Tonnes of power with all channels driven .Would laugh at speakers that dip down to 2 ohms. 4 DACS for each channel. No compromises on parts. todays receivers are toys by comparison

and because of that I have to use separates .

A70C5A3C-A28A-4F99-8CA9-0622B0229633.jpeg D1C11B07-2861-4FBB-8AB2-6E7CC030FF30.jpeg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've got 4-5 older 2000 and 3000 series Denons that I've outgrown if anyone wants to come pick em up in central MD. I will give you the remotes and any docs I have plus make you the best espresso you've ever had (assuming you aren't @Carlo Medina ) =)
BTW, I take my over-two-weeks-past-roast-date espresso beans and coarse grind them into an overnight cold brew using a Toddy (10oz beans, 2oz ground chicory, dash of cinnamon, 7 cups of water, steep 24hrs). Makes an awesome New Orleans style cold brew when you use 1 part water, 1 part coffee concentrate, 2 parts milk. Also just used 2oz of the pure concentrate with vanilla ice cream to make an awesome affogato.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I have a lot of frustration with my Denon because the speaker connections are pretty bad. They cut out a lot and I have to go into the back and jiggle with the connections to make them work again. I’ve tried direct wiring, plugs etc and the same issues crop up.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
eg Denon 5805

real power supplies . Tonnes of power with all channels driven .Would laugh at speakers that dip down to 2 ohms. 4 DACS for each channel. No compromises on parts. todays receivers are toys by comparison

View attachment 97414 View attachment 97415
My issue is that this conversation is from the perspective that it's only Denon. It's the situation with all brands. They've all gone from 5 channels to 9 or 11 and all suffer from the same limitations that result.

As far as "real" power supplies go, that's something that's evolving, largely for economic reasons. Toroidal power supplies are heavy and expensive, so newer, more efficient technologies are being developed and improved. Still, receivers just don't ever have enough power coming in to do what they need to when compared to separates.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
eg Denon 5805

A70C5A3C-A28A-4F99-8CA9-0622B0229633.jpeg D1C11B07-2861-4FBB-8AB2-6E7CC030FF30.jpeg

Back when that Denon was made it was a real beast!

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Absolutely nothing special about Denon anymore. They used to be great receivers, but not anymore. Out of the box, they don't sound good and lean heavily upon the Audessey crutch to sound decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks