Denon AVR-1804 - will S-video upconvert?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by John Broderick, Aug 27, 2006.

1. John Broderick

John Broderick Auditioning

Sep 28, 2004
    Had the receiver for 3 years, feeding DirecTV through S-video. Zero problems.

Recently picked up plasma ED monitor - Panasonic 37PWD8UK.

I was under the impression that the Denon would upconvert an S-Video signal to a component.

Have hooked up my DVD player using component. It works. Attached DirecTV to Denon receiver using S-video, hoping it would upconvert to component. So far, no signal.

Here's the kicker: when I set up everything initially using S-Video, I was able to see the onscreen setup. Now, using component with a DVD that works, I cannot get the onscreen setup.

Another note on the Panasonic monitor - while it has a S-Video input and a component input, it will not let you use both. If you put S-Video in and Component in, it will only let you use the component.

Can anybody help? I'm looking to find out: a) will it upconvert; and b) why isn't the onscreen setup on the Denon working even though I am getting picture through the DVD player.
  2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Jul 10, 2006
    Hi John - I don't believe the AVR-1804 will upconvert to component. But that's all the more reason to upgrade to a new AVR-1707 for just $300 [​IMG]