What's new

Denon 5900 / Sudden Closed Captions Display (1 Viewer)

*Luke*

Agent
I recently got the 5900 and did the upgrade with no problem. Connected to Sammy DLP via DVI set @ 720p. During playback on 3 different DVD's the appropriate closed captions for the scene suddenly came up on the display. I rolled the disk back each time and replayed and it didn't happen again (nor did it continue long). Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there a known fix. It's just plain weird. I haven't contacted Denon re: this matter nor have I found anthing noted anywhere online. Opinions? Facts? Experiences?

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator
I am picking up my third 5900 tomorrow for this problem. Hope it solves it, otherwise I may give up on this player. The first player I had did this a couple of times, and the center channel of the analog outputs went dead. The replacement, which I have had for three weeks has done this on about 6 discs just as you describe. Also, occcasionally when I first turn it on, there is a green line about a 5th of the way up from the bottom of the screen that goes across the entire picture. This line will eventually go aaway in about 10 minutes, I presume after the circuits fully warm up. Disappointing, since my 2900 has worked flawlessly.

Also, I am noticing layer change pauses again with this player, whereas the 2900 has never had one.

Perhaps it's a firmware problem. If the new one does it, I will start bugging Denon directly.

*Luke*

Agent
I tried their customer technical service email twice....both returned. I would assume the DVI firmware would have all the latest in it.

*Luke*

Agent
New info:

Check your firmware....
it should read:
Make Date 1015
ESS 6334-1
DRV 030825
SYS 6542-1
DSP1 6332
DSP2 6333

Many units late and early manufacture date have old firmware. Contact Denon for the update. I have DSP2 0020. I don't know if it will fix it but it's at least something to attempt

*Luke*

Agent
Turn the unit off on the front

Press play and open/close buttons at the same time then while still depressing, turn on with button on unit.

The play and pause light up on front, then use the enter button on your remote to scroll through the firmware info.

Please post results for us to see.

I will any post any firmware info tomorrow after I speak with Denon.

Luke

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator
The one I picked up today has the firmware as posted above. They mentioned that the DVI output has been activated already.

ESS 6334-1
Make Day 1015
DRV 030825
System 6542-1
DSP1 6332
DSP2 6333

So far no problems with two movies.

I'll let you know if I experience any of the issues I mentioned before. I'm hopeful that te third time will be the charm. Picture is superb.

Scott

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, after a week and a half, and a dozen or so discs, I have experienced no problems with this one. So far so good. Maybe this newer firmware did the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks