What's new

Denon 5600 (1 Viewer)

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Im a high school student with out lots of money. I bought a used Denon 5600. I need to know if I should keep it.
I don't have it in my home yet.
---
How will it compair to the HK520, or Denon 2802? I know it has only 5.1 DD and DTS, but that's fine. (It's for the Bedroom.) How will it sound with my Klipsch? Are there any problems with this unit?
Thanks for any replies:)

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Not all AVR-5600's came with dts.
Only a few late in the production run for the last few months. Then the AVR 5700 came out.
AVR-5600dts
I had one of the 5600dts units, Very nice,
But they DO NOT have a dts led that shows you are using a dts source. The real & only way to know if your 5600 has dts is look on the back for a small label that say's dts, Or pop the hood and look for the very small upgrade board in the front near the top, One chip on the board says dts.
If you find the tag or board, just leave the 5600 on AC3.
Any dts fed into will decode.
The 5600 does not have 5.1 or 7.1 inputs like the 5700.
Here is a nice link to the 5600.
http://www.wire-x.com/5600.htm
The 5600 is a very fine unit.
I only sold my 5600dts to upgrade to the 5700.
I still have it even though I also use separates in our main system.
The specifications on the Denon flagship's are great!
As well the build and sound quality.
I sent you a PM with the spec's like a true
Stereo - 2 ch DriveFront140 W x 2 ch (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.05%)170 W x 2 ch (8 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%)
Stereo - 5 ch Drive140 W x 5 ch (8 ohms, 1kHz, THD 0.7%)
Enjoy it.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I think it say's DTS on the front. So that means it has DTS. Right?

So it doesn't have 5.1 or 7.1 input? But it does have 5.1 d.input right? (PS2, Xbox, DVD,)

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
If it say's dts on the front, then it may have it.
My 5600 did not have a tag on the front.
Check the back next to the model number for a tag that say's dts. Or pop the top. You may even get the info from denon with the serial number.
Yes 5.1 with a digital feed (Optical/Coax)
No analog 5.1 inputs.
No need for those if DVD-A or SACD multi channel are not
in your near future.
If you received a great price on that 5600, you could always add a Sony TA-P9000ES for the DVD-A or SACD multi channel at a later time.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Thanks for the replies! (and the PM Jerry)

So how many multi channal things can I hook up?:b

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
If my memory serves me correct it has four or five optical digital inputs, two or three digital coax inputs, and one rf laser disk input.
Count them on the back, remember one of the optical's is labeled an output.
So that is Six-eight and one for laser disc.
All the inputs can be assigned to any source within the setup menu's on-screen setup.
Sorry I do not have those specifications at hand right now.

Geoff McD

Grip
Hey Mathew...saw your post on the Klipsch forum and put a responce there.

From the information on the 5600 posted by Jerry...its sounds really similar to the 5700 (which I own).

The 5700 has 9 digital inputs, if the 5600 is as similar to the 5700 as it sounds, then it might have 9 as well. I wouldn't think it would be much less than 6 or 7.

Its probably more than enough! I'm using only 4 of the 9 digital inputs my 5700 has:

1) CD changer
2) DVD player
3) X-box
4) PS2

I guess one day I'll have a satelite dish, but after that, I'm not sure how I would use the rest of the digital inputs!

Also when Jerry mentioned that the 5600 didn't have 5.1 or 7.1 channel inputs - he wasn't refering to digital inputs (optical or coaxial...what the dvd players and everything else use). He was refering to analogue inputs. the 5700 has an 8 channel (7.1) analogue input for connection to an external decoder of some sort, such as a Dolby Digital EX, or DTS ES decoder. Not too many of those on the market (and Denon doesn't make one either).

Anyhow, you will be fine. I'm sure there are plenty of digital inputs to cover all your needs!

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
I 've had the AVC-A1 (same as the 5600). It has the following inputs: 1 AC3 RF, 3 optical, 1 coaxial
outputs: 1 optical

All inputs can be appointed to any source with the OSD menu.

It also provides a 5.1 input.

Beware it doesn't come with DTS onboard, that's why I bought the Denon AVD-1000 DTS decoder later on. I do remember the possibility of an MSB upgrade. But when this upgrade has been done you can't use the 5.1 input anymore. In future no decoder can be connected through te 5.1 input, because it is disconnected as a result of the MSB upgrade.

I've had it for 5 years and finally passed it on to my parents when I got my AVC-A1 SR (Same as the AVR-5803).

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
It also provides a 5.1 input.?
It's been about two years now since I had my AVR 5600dts around.
But I'm sure it only had 5.1 out puts.
That was the reason I went with a 5700 upgrade.
And a few did indeed come with Denon factory dts.
See the link above or here for the press release,
I had one, And it indeed did have the board inside.
Very few of these produced.
http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/dtstech044.html

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
I guess there are a few differences between the AVC-A1 and the 5600dts afterall.

Wasn't there an earlier model 5600 without the dts but with the 5.1 input in the States?

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Matthew,

You seem really unsure of your purchase. If you really need to have all the latest features than I say get rid of the 5600 and get yourself a new Denon 3802 for $699 and relax and enjoy the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks