Denon 5/7 Channel stereo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EarleD, Nov 3, 2001.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I'm sure this has been asked before but, who listens to music in the 5/7 channel stereo mode instead of just plain 2 channel? I have found that I really enjoy the 7 channel stereo of the denon 3802. Dont get me wrong, I like 2 channel, but the multichannel stereo sounds fuller and LOUDER than 2 channel stereo. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Earle

2. Wookie Groomer

Wookie Groomer Stunt Coordinator

I also have the 3802. I dislike the 7 channel stereo. It makes the music more harsh sounding and the overall quality deminishes. On the other hand, I prefer the ProLogic II more for multi channel music in place of the 7 channel.

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Earle: Until DPL II arrived on the scene, I think that many users of Denon products that liked 2 channel music played back in surround, chose 5 or 7 channel stereo. (Of course, there are the Matrix and DTS:NEO promoters too.) I know that from time to time, I too would also use 5 channel stereo (I'm still a pure 2 channel lover at heart though.)
    But I have to admit, for me, when I'm in the mood for 2 channel surround music, the DPL II Music mode seems to bring more to the 2 channel surround table. The mix of the music seems to just be clearer. Add the ability to tweak the 3 settings exactly to my liking, and the effect is even better.
    I do believe that if there are several listeners, all around the room, 5/7 channel stereo would probably be a better choice than DPL II.
    ------------------