Denon 3803 OSD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom.S, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Tom.S

Tom.S Auditioning

Does the OSD work on the component video outputs? Thanks.

2. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

Tom no it doesn't

3. Dave Elliott

Dave Elliott Stunt Coordinator

Actually, it does work, but it doesn't overlay the text on top of the video signal.

If you're watching DVD or HDTV via component and you click the "On Screen", "System Setup", or "Status" buttons on the remote, it'll go to a blank black screen with all the normal OSD detail on it.

So, yes, it does work via components. This was a big reason why I bought it, as I have all my equipment stashed in a closet. I like to make sure I have the right surround modes and so forth working when I watch DVDs, and I can now do that with 1 button.

VERY few receivers have this feature.

BTW, I am extremely happy with the 3803. Its much better than my old Denon 2800. WAY more power.

-Dave

4. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

That's about it. I really don't like the onscreen display, so I've cut it off. I can see what I need to on the front of the 3803. Of course, if it were stashed in a closet, that would be different. When needed (like suround parameters and menus still pop up when those buttons are pressed. Being able to cut it off or use it is great. I thought I wasn't going to like not having it overlayed on top of component, but I was wrong. It is better not to overlay it. In fact, it is better not to see it unless needed. It would get annoying to see the volume display every time I make a slight adjustment.

5. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

You are correct I guess I was just thinking about the volume control during DVD's. I agree Jamey that it would be annoying. And I too am very very happy with the 3803.

6. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

7. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator