What's new

Denon 3803 OSD (1 Viewer)

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, it does work, but it doesn't overlay the text on top of the video signal.

If you're watching DVD or HDTV via component and you click the "On Screen", "System Setup", or "Status" buttons on the remote, it'll go to a blank black screen with all the normal OSD detail on it.

So, yes, it does work via components. This was a big reason why I bought it, as I have all my equipment stashed in a closet. I like to make sure I have the right surround modes and so forth working when I watch DVDs, and I can now do that with 1 button.

VERY few receivers have this feature.

BTW, I am extremely happy with the 3803. Its much better than my old Denon 2800. WAY more power.

-Dave

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
That's about it. I really don't like the onscreen display, so I've cut it off. I can see what I need to on the front of the 3803. Of course, if it were stashed in a closet, that would be different. When needed (like suround parameters and menus still pop up when those buttons are pressed. Being able to cut it off or use it is great. I thought I wasn't going to like not having it overlayed on top of component, but I was wrong. It is better not to overlay it. In fact, it is better not to see it unless needed. It would get annoying to see the volume display every time I make a slight adjustment.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
You are correct I guess I was just thinking about the volume control during DVD's. I agree Jamey that it would be annoying. And I too am very very happy with the 3803.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
3)Any HDTV or Progressive signals are "RUMORED" to allow absolutely no on-screen menus. Supposedly the on-screen menus are produced in 480i NTSC format and therefore are incompatible with Progressive or HDTV signals.
I don't know about the 3803, but on the 5803 if I press OSD when feeding progressive component input, the receiver switches into the black screen + OSD display and the output is indeed in 480i.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about the 3803, but on the 5803 if I press OSD when feeding progressive component input, the receiver switches into the black screen + OSD display and the output is indeed in 480i.
I can verify that on the 3803 also. It stands to reason a progressive image or a 1080i image will not be compatible with a 480i image. The OSD would have to be output in the format sent over the component cables. Since there are many (myself included) who do not like the low res/very plain and blocky OSD in the first place, putting that on top of a beautiful 480p or 1080i signal would be cheap looking. I don't every really need them except when I am changing parameters. If you can't see what surround mode you are in on the front of your receiver,you can always hit the "surround" button to find out what signal is being sent. But, like said, this will switch to an all black screen with white letters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks