What's new
World Wide Stereo

Why does my Denon 3803 not show OSD on dvd? (1 Viewer)

James Barnett

Auditioning
It does on other sources, but when I try to adjust channel levels or volume on the dvd, it doesn't display. Could this be because my dvd goes directly to component input?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Most receivers and processors don't send OSD over component outputs, only S-Video and composite. I'd assume that your Denon is no different and you've answered your own question - it's not showing up because you're viewing DVD video over component.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Overlays on component video is very tricky, so most receivers do not do it, including the 3803. For all of your other sources, the Denon applies the overlay first, then upconverts.

James_Roberts

Auditioning
Are you saying that your comp. out on the DVD player goes directly in the component in on the TV? if so, that is your problem. If not, i dunno. I remember when I demo'd a 3803 in a store that it put the OSD over a component signal. I haven't tried it with mine yet, but I will when I invest in another set of cables.

V JACKSON

Agent
Your problem is the DVD going directly to your tv. IF you want OSD with your DVD then you should run the DVD component output directly to the Denon also.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I can't test my 3803 (all S-Video here) but we've been discussing this over at avs. We think that all of the 3803's OSD will work for composite, S-Video and 480i component. 480p component is a different animal...

James Barnett

Auditioning
Quote:
Are you saying that your comp. out on the DVD player goes directly in the component in on the TV? if so, that is your problem. If not, i dunno. I remember when I demo'd a 3803 in a store that it put the OSD over a component signal. I haven't tried it with mine yet, but I will when I invest in another set of cables.

No I run my dvd into the component in on the receiver and run the component out to the tv.

Quote:
I can't test my 3803 (all S-Video here) but we've been discussing this over at avs. We think that all of the 3803's OSD will work for composite, S-Video and 480i component. 480p component is a different animal...

Could be the problem. I use 480p out on my dvd player. And I have swapped cables.

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't matter 480i or 480p.

the 3803 like the 5803 will not output the volume display or OSD through component when you are using component source (like DVD, or HDTV), but it will output the volume display or OSD through component when you are using composite or S-Video source. (or you can use the on screen button then you will see the OSD but no component source picture).

Because the On Screen Display is actually overlay output through the S-Video or composite and then upcovert through component. But once the component source is used then it bypass the OSD (no overlay)to keep the component signal as clean as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks