What's new

Denon 3803 Phooey! (1 Viewer)

TysonL

Agent
Today I purchased a Denon 3803 to see if it was worthwhile to upgrade from my 3802.

I was hoping for a seamless upconversion on the component monitor out. No dice. I had what appears in the manual to be a TBC(time base correction) issue with my monitor(samsung hcl652w). The output was all distorted on all upconversions......all out of sync. Would a TBC adapter fix the problem? Probably....according to the manual at least. But why chould I have to patch something that should do what it states it can do?

So how about that OSD for the volume display? Not supported on the component out.

With those 2 selling points not living up to my expectations, I was left with 12v triggers(nice) and a few more optical inputs.

The 3803 went back to the store. I'll stick with my 3802 until I can afford some separates.

Tyson

MarcW

Agent
So how about that OSD for the volume display? Not supported on the component out.
This is not completely accurate. The OSD is only bypassed if the signal source is connected via component. Personally I think this is a good thing as the OSD circuitry degrades the component signal. If you hook up your source (DVD,VCR etc.) using s-video or composite and use the receivers upconvert feature the OSD will display on component out.

-MarcW

TysonL

Agent
Tyson
The OSD is only bypassed if the signal source is connected via component. Personally I think this is a good thing as the OSD circuitry degrades the component signal. If you hook up your source (DVD,VCR etc.) using s-video or composite and use the receivers upconvert feature the OSD will display on component out.
This is true and I agree to an extent. However, if it degrades the picture quality through componenet, it must do the same for s-vid and composite. Either way it's not a good thing when your receiver is in a rack out of site.

Tyson

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Doesn't the 3802 degrade the component pq as well? I tried passing the progscan out from a progscan DVD and the Xbox and sad to say the colors were out of wack not to mention not as sharp. And FYI, I was using Canare cables and ends for both.
It would be nice if Denon had corrected this on the 3803. For now then, I'd go with Tyson and skip it.

On another note, is the 4803 or 5803 do better in this matter?

Yogi

Screenwriter
How was the sound compared to the 3802? Did the dual-differential burr browns make an improvement in sound in the direct mode?

TysonL

Agent
I found no difference in direct mode. I listen to all cd's through direct mode and found no audible improvement with the 3803. Anyone know how the 5803 handles the OSD for the volume?

FWIW, I have Klipsch Reference speakers all around.

Tyson

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Tyson - thanks for the post.

Your issues with those two features is enlightening. The only reason I was thinking of upgrading from my 3802 to the 3803 was for the up-conversion and vol display. Now that I see it still would be a compromise, I don't feel the need!

Thanks my man - you just saved me $900!

Bryan

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
My 6 year old 3200 is on it's last legs. Maybe I should pick a 3802 up cheap instead of waiting for the 3803.

TysonL

Agent
The remote was ok....build quality was much cheaper than the remote with the 3802.....didn't quite get to the point of looking at macros as I was going to reprogram my mx500.

Bryan,

Even if I had no issues with the upconversion, the no osd for the volume really bummed me out. Also to note, my HDTV receiver switched through the 3803 also looked softer than when connected directly.....using some canare V3CFB component cable.

Long live the 3802! Get em while the prices drop!

Tyson

Chris_J_C

Auditioning
I had the exact opposite experience with my new 3803. I hooked up a composite vcr, component dvd, s-video and component out of my CabeHD STB (3100HD)...outputing them all component. Switching between sources worked flawlessly. And looked great.

I am coming from a 3801, and I like the new remote better. It still only has the 2 call buttons, but I think you can add macros to other buttons as well, I will have to look into it.

As far as the volume OSD is concerned, it does only show up on non-component sources. It does show up on the display in larger letters, unlike the 3801 which only had the tiny display in the corner. To me, this is no big deal. When I am changing volume, I am listening for the difference, not relying on reading it somewhere.

Anyway, I am very happy with the unit.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Chris, How does the sound compare between the 3801 and the 3803? Does the sound in itself warrant an upgrade? I am not crazy about the features etc but all I am concerned is the sound. So how do they compare in 'direct' 2 channel sound. Any appreciable difference?

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
so my big question is the dvd progressive scan did look worse? Or maybe does it depend on your dvd player.

rob-socal

Agent
I've had the 3803 for a few weeks now. Don't expect a total transformation for the standard red-book CD 48KHz material. However, once you get into the 96K realm, it really shines.

a few notes:
1. Background noise is non-existent (at least to me)
2. It operates much cooler than my old Elite
3. Switching between DSP & DD/DTS/DPL2 is not intuitive, but works well.
4. After two weeks, still can't figure out how to disable multi source mode. It always displays this "multi" message
5. A/B surrounds is nice feature, wish it extended to A/B fronts. Guess I could in 5CH stereo mode, but then I still have the original fronts running. Oh well.
6. The remote is nice & handy, but overly complex. I guess you can't please everyone all the time.
7. I will miss the volume display once I get a 6 meter component cable.
8. Did I say it shines with 96K material?

I'm keeping mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks