What's new

denon 3802 with axioms??? please help (1 Viewer)

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
hi-
i was looking into the following system
axiom m80s (main)
axiom vp 150 (center)
axiom m2tis (surrounds)
svs 20-39 pci

receiver: onkyo 898 vs. denon 3802 vs. yamaha rxv 3200

the yamaha can be set to run at 4 ohms, which is great becaue the m80s are 4 ohm speakers. i think the denon can run at 6 ohms, possibly the onkyo as well. question: if i'm running at 6 ohms, will the receiver have any problems powering 4 ohm speakers? i think the surrounds are 8 ohm speakers... will it be a problem combining 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers on a receiver set at 6 ohms??? thanks in advance.
peter

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
wow- that seems like a very intelligent (and well-phrased) concern. i too would also be interested in any input the fine young chaps here could provide you with.

*mike (a british enthusiast)

*- denotes that mike is really peter (a non-british enthusiast... whatever that may be... who still wants a reply to his question)

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I don't think you have anything to worry about. From my understanding, those 4/6/8 ohm switches only affect how conservative the receiver is about limiting power output to avoid clipping. IE since a 4ohm speaker would need more current to hit 100W then an 8ohm speaker, the receiver might only put out 75W in the 4ohm configuration to avoid clipping if it tried to put out 100W and ran out of juice.

That said, the Axiom speakers are very efficient, especially the M80's. You should have plenty of power from a Denon 3802, and clipping shouldn't be a problem unless you're trying to hit downright dangerous sound levels or have a huge living room/theater. Just put the 3802 on 6ohm and you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks