Last Time: Please: Have up to $1500 right now...need to know what speakers and where!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick RTM, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Rick RTM

Rick RTM Extra

Ok i have $1500 max, would like to stay around $1000 but i have up to $1500.
    ok here are the answers to the main questions you will ask of me:
    - I will be using the Denon 3802
    - this will be 90% movies (DTS/action) 10% music (dont care how that sounds)
    - Room is small might move into a medium room (not bigger than 16x18)
    - I got all the speaker wires i need
    - I need 7.1 set of speakers w/o a sub so: C/L/R/4x surround
    - I DO NOT NEED A SUB IN THIS PRICE BUT IF YOU HAVE A SOLUTION IN THE BUDGET THAN THATS COOL.
    I was considering Axiom
    -----------------------------------
    I would also like ot know where i can order these ASAP im open to even used so if someone has something thay want to sell. LMK or b-stock or whatever. i just want good movies [​IMG]
    help!
    thanks
    RTM

2. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

The Home Theater Direct Level 3 Combo Y with an extra set of surrounds would be less than $1500 and it includes a decent subwoofer.
    www.hometheaterdirect.com
    --Steve

3. Eric Wood

Eric Wood Stunt Coordinator

4. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Well I would say check out Paradigm speakers, the only place you can buy them online is here but you can get them cheaper if you go to a dealer. I would say check out the PSB speakers they have here.
    james

5. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

av123.com has a deal on the Swan Diva's right now. Although the second set of 2.1 would take you $100 over budget.

They have a package deal of the 4.1, C3, and 2.1 for $1198 and a second set of 2.1 would be another $399.

Another option, if you have or have access to some tools is to DIY. You could get 7 Adire 281 speaker kits for $1185 (buying 7 I'm sure Dan Wiggins would knock that down a little further) which leaves you $315 for MDF, Veneer and anything else you need to finish them. Those who have heard them rank the 281 in the same category as the B&W 804 which lists for around $3000 a pair. You could also substitute the Adire 81 speaker kit for the surrounds which would bring the price for 7 speakers down to $1025.

7. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Thanks for the plug Steve!

Rick,

Used Axioms are rare. Email me please if I can work out a package deal of new ones for you. I'd certainly welcome your business.

You can also get deals on B stock direct from Axiom too from time to time too.

8. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I recently heard a pair of B&W DM303's and was impressed. They recently made Sound and Vision's Reviewers choice for 2001. Here is the basic text of the review:
    "B&W DM 303 Home Theater Speaker System
    (original review, May) If I told you that a speaker system costing just under $1,300 could carry the same sonic signature as one costing ten times that much, you’d probably think I was nuts. Yet this B&W system — comprising DM 303 left and right front and surround speakers, an LCR 3 center speaker, and an ASW 500 subwoofer — does just that. It reproduces dialogue, music, and special effects with the same basic accuracy and neutrality as the company’s famous megabuck systems. Voices in particular sound remarkably natural. And the speakers also share the fit and finish of their more prestigious brethren, making them a joy to look at as well as to hear. What separates this rig from B&W’s deluxe systems are bass and decibels. The DM 303-based system can’t go as deep or play as loud as larger speakers. But that doesn’t mean you’ll have to sacrifice the thrills and chills of great home theater — it just means your neighbors won’t have to share in the experience.
    B&W Loudspeakers of America - www.bwspeakers.com, 800-370-3740
    — Rich Warren "
    If you drop the sub, the 303's go for around $300 a pair (you need three pair, $900) and the LCR3 goes for about $229, so that would take you to $1129 + tax. Speaker stands/mounts would take you on the $1500 target.
    Make sure you hear and like what you buy, don't go on someone's word alone. Everyone has different tastes in sound.
    Best 'o luck to you!
    Pete

9. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

I have to second the HomeTheaterDirect Speakers! I just got my HTD level III combo Y with a set of stands for $1100 shipped. They include 30 money back guarantee including shipping, so I had nothing to lose. Not to "review" them here, but I am very happy with them. Cheaphometheater.com also gave them a great review, saying they were the best speaker in this price range.

Good luck,

Paul

10. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Good suggestions on speakers. I would suggest that in your budget get the Sony WM40 subwoofer for $130 online. It will work well for you since it is a very good sub for HT, by far the best in that price range. Sux for music, but that isn't an issue for you.

11. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

I'd take a look at the JM Lab Chorus line, there are a couple of combinations you could go with to be under your $1500 max price range (but no sub).
    Check out this site, http://www.tweakshop.com/Chorus.html as they have some pricing listed (those are MSRP prices, so a local dealer and buying 7 speakers should get you a little discount).
    I've heard the 715 model a couple of weeks ago and I was impressed with it, especially for their price range.
    Here's a review of the 706 model. http://www.secondbeat.com/html/articles/april/jm.html
    another
    http://thestar.com.my/audio/review.a...&sec=audiofile
    another
    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/jmlab_chorus706.htm
    Check out http://www.focal.tm.fr to get more information on them and to find a dealer.
    Andrew

12. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with perhaps 2 Axiom M22's for rears, a VP150 and perhaps the M80's for fronts. That'd be about your cost....actually $1560 if you bought from the Audioshop (which everyone recommends... www.audioshop.on.ca)
    I love my Axioms..I recommend them 150%

13. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

Better reading through your post and seeing you want 7.1..perhaps 4 Axiom M3's and the VP150 and the M80's...that'd be 7.1 in your price and fantastic to boot [​IMG]

14. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

Check out the PSB Image series. I just picked up the 6T's, 9C, and 10S's. They are fabulous, especially for HT. They have several more to choose from according to your needs. You can find these very reasonbly priced and you get a lot of speaker for your money.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a link to the numerous reviews on the Image series: PSB Image Reviews
    Try to give them a ear if you have a chance to.
    SP

15. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

I'd definitely chek the JM Lab Chorus series before you buy anything. Very sweet.

16. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

17. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

My recommendation is for Ascend Acoustics. I set up a friend's home theater with them, and it sounds amazing. You could get 3 CBM-170 for the front and 2 pairs of HTM-200 for the surround. This would easily come under budget and would put a grin on your face!

If you like the looks, you could look at 7 of the nOrh ceramic 4.0's.

18. Rick RTM

Rick RTM Extra

dont u think it looks wierd for a center to be a bookshelf speaker? i do

19. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

just wanted to let you guys know that audioshop doesn't give very good prices...
    i just cehcked them against the Dumoulin website here in quebec, and since all prices are in CAN dollars, it's easy to compare...
    i looked at the Axiom line.
    go to www.dumoulin.com and check out the hifi section, you'll see that, at least for the Axiom speakers, our prices are sometimes a couple hundred bucks under theirs...
    so unless they're easy to bargain with...

20. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

For $1,500, I wouldn't hesitate to get the nOrh 4.0 package and a pair of Prism 4.1 sides or surrounds. That will run you $1,400 delivered. With the looks, you will either love it or hate it. Personally I think they look cool and that is why I have them (ceramic 4.0 package and wood 5.1s - used to have 3.0s but sold them to upgrade to the 5.1s). Most center speakers are either bookshelf speakers or redesigned bookshelf speakers. Neither one of the 4.0 or 4.1 speakers will look identical (outside of color). There are discrepencies in each one that help convey to the buyer that it is hand made. The wood speakers will have different patterns with the wood grain. The ceramic ones will have some small burn marks and runs from the glazing. Both will look much better in person than in the pictures and retain their value. I tend to think of them as works of art that sound sensational even if they are not for everyone. FYI, all 7 of the 4.0 speakers will run you $1,250 delivered. The wood, IMO, looks better and sounds warmer than the ceramic does. The ceramic is more detailed and revealing than the wood. Enjoy your speakers, no matter which ones you get!